How Do I Remove Gas Checks?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How Do I Remove Gas Checks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Default How Do I Remove Gas Checks?

I am dismantling some 7x57 ammo that has been loaded with cast lead boolits. I am using an inertia type bullet puller. The boolits come out fine, but the gas check will not come out and remains stuck inside the case. Is there a way to get the gas check out? I don't think it would be good to reload the case with the gas check still in there loose in the case, but it seems to be so light, it might work. Anyone know?
ct

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2552 Times on 1655 Posts

I don't reload, but I am a toolmaker and I'm following what you are saying. Do you have a hook scribe? Maybe a set of small snap ring pliers with the small teeth could grab them.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why did you pull the bullets? I would simply replace the cast bullets and fire the rounds. If you seat a plain base jacketed bullet securely against the gas check you can fire it out.
I have filled the necks with paraffin and shot them out. Just check the bore each time it is fired.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Why did you pull the bullets? I would simply replace the cast bullets and fire the rounds. If you seat a plain base jacketed bullet securely against the gas check you can fire it out.
I have filled the necks with paraffin and shot them out. Just check the bore each time it is fired.

Don't you have to pull the bullets in order to replace them? Also, I have no idea what powder charge is in there or what powder is used.
ct

Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I don't reload, but I am a toolmaker and I'm following what you are saying. Do you have a hook scribe? Maybe a set of small snap ring pliers with the small teeth could grab them.

I found a pair of hemostat pliers in my tool box and they worked great. All the gas checks are removed. Thanks for the tip.
ct