How come???

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How come???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default How come???

How come nobody ever made a jacketed 22lr?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 273

.22 LR uses an outside lubricated bullet. The bullet diameter is the same as the case diameter. There is a heel of the bullet that is considerably under bore size that sits inside the case. Most .22LR bullets are soft swaged lead that is relatively easy to make. Sometimes these bullets are copper washed, mostly they are coated with a lubricant. To make a jacketed bullet that will fit inside the case, expand at the base upon firing to make a good gas seal and bite the rifling at these relatively low pressures and velocities would be a daunting task. Could it be done? Probably. It would be prohibitively expensive and would ruin the inexpensive appeal of the rimfire ammo.

In short, it would cost more than people are willing to pay for .22LR ammo.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have been a cartridge collector for 45 years now and one of my passions is 22 rimfire ammo. I am unaware of any commercial round ever loaded for the 22 lr with jacketed bullet. However Remington did produce for the US military during WWII, a full metal jacket round. This made it legal for war purposes while complying with the rules of the Hauge Convention. These rounds are getting harder and rarer as time goes by, if any are found dont shoot them as they are so scarce. These rounds were known as T-42 and M-24.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Cool!! Just a ?? I never seen one and I know the 22mags are Brass jacketed