Hornady steel match ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hornady steel match ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hornady steel match ammo

Anyone have any experience with this? I know I've heard people say stay away from steel casings, and I also know you cannot reload them, but why do people not like to use steel? Any info would be great!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have used the steel match in 9mm, and have had no issues with it. Hornady started the steel match line because steel is cheaper than brass, so you can get the quality bullets (although I suspect these may be factory seconds to further reduce cost) and Hornady's quality control with a lower price tag. If you don't reload, it makes a good practice ammo, but I doubt it would win any serious matches. The general negative feeling toward steel cased ammo comes from the cheap bulk ammo like Wolf and Tula. Which have been known to have a lack of quality control and have garnered a reputation of having the occasional squib load or over powered load. Another theory is that steel is harder on the chamber than brass and causes excessive wear, personally I feel the increase in wear is negligible. The coatings used on steel cases to protect the cases from corrosion tend to get left behind in the chamber, causing a build up. Which if it builds up thick enough can cause problems. That was definitely true with the old laquer coatings, but I have yet to see the issue with the newer polymer coatings (like that used on Hornady's steel match). Buy a small amount, if you have problems with it; then you didn't waste money buying a large amount of ammo you can't use. If it works, buy more.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder
I have used the steel match in 9mm, and have had no issues with it. Hornady started the steel match line because steel is cheaper than brass, so you can get the quality bullets (although I suspect these may be factory seconds to further reduce cost) and Hornady's quality control with a lower price tag. If you don't reload, it makes a good practice ammo, but I doubt it would win any serious matches. The general negative feeling toward steel cased ammo comes from the cheap bulk ammo like Wolf and Tula. Which have been known to have a lack of quality control and have garnered a reputation of having the occasional squib load or over powered load. Another theory is that steel is harder on the chamber than brass and causes excessive wear, personally I feel the increase in wear is negligible. The coatings used on steel cases to protect the cases from corrosion tend to get left behind in the chamber, causing a build up. Which if it builds up thick enough can cause problems. That was definitely true with the old laquer coatings, but I have yet to see the issue with the newer polymer coatings (like that used on Hornady's steel match). Buy a small amount, if you have problems with it; then you didn't waste money buying a large amount of ammo you can't use. If it works, buy more.
Very impressive, I appreciate all the info. I just didn't want to put junk in my gun, but I know hornady is an excellent company! Thanks again, I'll go ahead and order a box now.