Hornady or rcbs press kit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hornady or rcbs press kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hornady or rcbs press kit

I am just getting into reloading and I am looking at kits from midwayusa.com to get me started. I am torn between the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit and the hornady lock n load kit. Both are the same price and come with virtually the same equipment. I will be loading mostly handgun rounds 380, 38s&w, 9mm, 40s&w and 45 acp along with 223. I am looking for your opinions of which kit you would prefer, or If you would get a different setup please feel free to share

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenr19 View Post
I am just getting into reloading and I am looking at kits from midwayusa.com to get me started. I am torn between the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit and the hornady lock n load kit. Both are the same price and come with virtually the same equipment. I will be loading mostly handgun rounds 380, 38s&w, 9mm, 40s&w and 45 acp along with 223. I am looking for your opinions of which kit you would prefer, or If you would get a different setup please feel free to share
either one. both are high quality and have been around for many years. IMO, i don't think you would go wrong with whichever one you picked. my suggestion would be to choose the one that has some of the minor features that suit your needs and go with it.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1795 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

I started out with the RCBS long ago and still use it today but I think the Hornady is just as good. I would either flip a coin or go off color!!!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #4

Likes Given: 1

I have a RC supreme that's about 9 yrs old and my neighbor just started loading and bought a hornady kit. Both presses are the same quality. Their powder measures, scales and trimmers are all good too. Just pick your favorite color and be happy. If you get the rcbs press but like the hornady lnl bushings, hornady makes a conversion kit. I have it in my press and really like it. Makes it easier to swap dies between the lnlap and single stage for small batches.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #5

I'm a little partial toward the RCBS Rockchucker press, but that's me. Hornady also makes good stuff.
ct

Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #6

My bench looks like somebody spilled skittles on it. But, I am partial to Hornady. I guess mainly because I live 90 miles from the plant and can stop in for parts whenever I get to town trucking. I won't criticize somebody's choice of equip because every company has good stuff. But there are a few things I definately would not own.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I'm new to reloading as well. Got my Rock Chucker kit a few months ago and couldn't be happier. I've only loaded a few hundred rounds, but I'm very pleased with the quality of the RCBS kit. Plus they have a great rebate option right now. If you spend over $300 on RCBS equipment, you can send in for 500 free common caliber speer bullets of your choosing. Well worth it for me.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy4 View Post
I'm new to reloading as well. Got my Rock Chucker kit a few months ago and couldn't be happier. I've only loaded a few hundred rounds, but I'm very pleased with the quality of the RCBS kit. Plus they have a great rebate option right now. If you spend over $300 on RCBS equipment, you can send in for 500 free common caliber speer bullets of your choosing. Well worth it for me.
not a bad deal at all! RCBS makes very good reloading equipment. mine is over 44 years old and still going strong! my father got out of reloading years ago and game me all his equipment. most of it is RCBS, Forster and Lyman. i have added Lee equipment to the lot and really like most of their products as well.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #9

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts

Rcbs is the way to go. The rockchucker is an amazing single stage. Lymans it not bad at all i have there turret press to do all my lever ammo.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6322 Times on 3538 Posts
Likes Given: 5903

Get whichever is on sale!

Seriously, as the others have said they are both top end.

I've used RCBS products for over 40 years so I would probably buy the RC for nostalgia.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz