Hornady Progressive Press versus Dillon 650
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Hornady Progressive Press versus Dillon 650

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 183 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Hornady Progressive Press versus Dillon 650

The Hornady comes at a much more attractive price than the Dillon. It still requires bushings for each die in each set of dies?
The Dillon cost right at 700.00 wit one head and set of dies since Dillon only deals with the retailer now, or in other words sets the price.
The Dillon doesn't rally like other brands of dies I've heard. The Dillon is known for reliability though.
The Hornady frame is aluminum and that concerns me. I have Lee Progressive that I've attempted to use a few times. Jamming and the powder measure jamming even on ball powder and the frame is aluminum.
I know my old cast iron RCBS has some flex, in it when loading big cartridges like the .270 Wby Magnum etc and some straight cases if not enough lube.
Anyone offer experience with either or both of these presses and overall costs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
The Hornady comes at a much more attractive price than the Dillon. It still requires bushings for each die in each set of dies?
The Dillon cost right at 700.00 wit one head and set of dies since Dillon only deals with the retailer now, or in other words sets the price.
The Dillon doesn't rally like other brands of dies I've heard. The Dillon is known for reliability though.
The Hornady frame is aluminum and that concerns me. I have Lee Progressive that I've attempted to use a few times. Jamming and the powder measure jamming even on ball powder and the frame is aluminum.
I know my old cast iron RCBS has some flex, in it when loading big cartridges like the .270 Wby Magnum etc and some straight cases if not enough lube.
Anyone offer experience with either or both of these presses and overall costs?
dillon no question is the king of progressive loading. not even a contest

i run all sorts of dies in my xl650. i havent found any dies that it has issues with. rcbs redding hornady lee all work so long as the dies are the standard 7/8"-14 threading

i progressively 458 winmag and it doesnt get too much larger i have loaded 338winmag on it in the past. not enough lube has nothing to do with the press or dies its just not enough lube. any set of dies will have issues regardless of loading device if the cases are not properly lubed.

dillon is warranteed for life and you wont need another press.

i also use a rcbs single stage for a lot of things. mine is a rock chucker and doesnt flex in the slightest. i use it for precision loading match ammo and small batches when i dont feel like converting the xl650 if i have the wrong setup in it for a small batch

the only thing i cannot do on the dillon xl650 is size/lube cast bullets
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 07-21-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have the Hornady LNL, and am very happy with it. If you don't want to get bushings for ever die, you could just leave them in, and reset up your dies every time. If you do get the bushings for every die, changing caliber is very quick. It has taken everything I have tried in stride and is still a smooth running machine. Worst thing I will say about my LNL, is I still have not set all of my different calibers on it yet. Some stuff is low enough volume, that maybe that will come later, but not right now.

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sine I have had a Dillon XL650 for 7 years now, I decided to do a random sample about 6 months ago comparing at that time current prices found on the internet and found that the prices are pretty much the same between a Dillon XL650 and Hornady AP Lock and load.

Dillon
Press + case feeder + 9mm = $566.99 + $218.99 + $0.00 = $785.98
Hornady @ Grafs
Press + case feeder + 9mm = $439.99 + $314.99 + $32.99 = $787.97
Hornady @ Midway
Press + case feeder + 9mm = $415.99 + $309.99 + $30.99 = $756.97
Hornady @ Carbela's
Press + case feeder + 9mm = $414.19 + $309.99 + $32.99 = $757.17

Note: Each system comes with support for both small & large primers, also included is single powder measure. The caliber conversion is included with the Dillon system. Dies are not priced, since they are purchased separately.

The prices are within a $30. Some times you can find Hornady on sale and save some what more, but there isn't a big difference in price. The price hook is the price of the base press. Hornady is far less expensive, but their case feeder more expensive, and one thing you should not do is buy either press without a case feeder. Its like buying a Corvette with a 4 cyl motor. As far as conversions, Yes I could only use 1 tool head, but I prefer to have all tool heads setup and it costs more money, but no more than buying the Hornady bushings. I do believe the Dillon caliber conversions are about twice as much as the Hornady equivalent.

I load mostly 30-06 & 9mm. I use a mixture of dies based on my needs. As far as the large caliber, there is no flex and I process over 5k of 30-06 a year.
JonM Likes This