Hornady Lock N Load AP progressive
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hornady Lock N Load AP progressive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hornady Lock N Load AP progressive

Well I finaly got my Lock n Load and couldn't be happier.
It functions flawlessly as long as u follow all the instructions.
My major concern with a progressive is the powder thrower.So far with flake ( Hogden trap) and (hogden H110) granular the amount of variance was less then 1/10 of a grain over 20 rounds for each. I have never had a thrower that could do this.
Once I had everything set up I was able to make up 250 rounds of 45 acp in just over an hour, and 200 rounds of 44 rem mag in about an hour and a half. This was going slow and making shure everything was going smoothly.
there was a cuple of times I didn't seat the primer and I got powder into the mechanisume (sp) and had to take the shell holder off and clean it out so that the primer mec wouldn't bind up , but that was my falt.
I can see how the automatic shell feed would be an asset as that would leave only placing a bullit into a case mouth. for anothe $350 that can wate.
I highly recomend getting the hornady if u are looking to get a full automated reloading press. I give this one two thumbs up.

F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I fully agree. I consider the Dillon 650 to be superior ONLY if you have to have a case feeder. The mechanism for the Hornady case feeder looks like it will require occasional adjustment. The Dillon was designed from the ground up for a case feeder.
In fact, I couldn't imagine trying to use a 550 or 650 without a case feeder.
At least the 1050 puts the case feed station right in front of the reloader, so one easily drop a case down the "hole" and not have to line up the case with the shell plate.
Trust me, I have three 1050s with case feeders for the past 2 years and two case feeders had to be returned to Dillon and one still doesn't work right with .38 Special cases.
I would consider a bullet feeder as being more important, but that is because with age, my left hand shakes when I try to do precise small motor activities--my hand just shakes harder the more I try to place the bullet perfectly on the charged case.
The problem is that, with only 5 stations, you would not be able to easily inspect the charged case.
Thus, what Hornady needs to come out with is a 6-station press--but then our existing shell plated would need to be replaced.
Remember two things with a progressive press:
1) Never force anything. If something feels different/odd, takes all cases of the shell plate, find out what is wrong, and work one case at a time until you work off the 4 cases.
2) If any powder spills, immediately stop and remove the shell plate and clean up. Nothing messes up the primer feed on any press more than a kernel or two of powder getting into the mechanism.