Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hornady LNL AP loading .223 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hornady LNL AP loading .223 problems

Just got my press a couple months ago and have had fun loading .40 S&W, .308, and 30-06. My trouble started when I tried to load .223 using RCBS small base dies for use in my AR-15. When the case is pushed up into the powder drop, it's like the measure is cutting the grains of IMR4198 and the force is causing the mouth of the case to be rolled in/down enough that causes difficulty in the next step of bullet seating. When the bullet is seated down to the canelure, you can grab the bullet and just spin it around in the case! It won't come out but it's just loose and will spin around! Is there a trick to make the powder drop smoother so the force doesn't roll down the mouth of the small .223 case? Am I doing something else wrong? Is there a "special" powder insert/funnel made for the .223 case so the load of the powder drop is placed on the shoulder and not the case mouth? I know the sizer is working ok because directly after I size/prime the case I can pick it up and try to push a bullet down in it by hand and I can't cause it's nice and tight. HELP PLEASE! I'm about ready to call Hornady and ask them WTH! Your opinions will be gratly appreciated.

Mark

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

First things first Welcome you should jump over to the introduction section and introduce yourself to everyone.

As far as the loading problems. I have a dillon not a Hornady both are quality machines that work good.

My dillon has a different way of handling powder. I have bushings for each caliber I am going to load.

Not sure why you are using 4198 in the 223 that is a big stick to stuff in a 22 cal hole. In the progressive I would use a short cut powder like varget or a ball powder like H335, H380, W760. these meter and flow real well in a progressive. Cutting grains of powder is a problem with the uniflow type of powder measure where it is a round tube in a round block. You have to use force to break the powder. If you want to stick to IMR powders I would go with 4064, 4895 these are small and short for the most part.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2610 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I too have a Dillon so I will speak in generalities. Because of the small mouth of the .223 you need to trim to a uniform length. If the powder funnel is set for a long case, a short case will spill powder. If the funnel is set for a short case, a long case will be damaged (like you describe).
In general IMR/stick powders are a bad idea for the .223 in a progressive press. If you use a trickler and/or weight each charge, they are fine. The powder delivery system of a progressive press funnelling into the narrow neck of a .223 funnel wreaks havock with the larger kernals. Bridging and cutting of kernals is fairly common.

In a nutshell - trim to uniform length and use a ball powder like W-296, BLC-2 H-335.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you are stuck on using IMR 4198 then I would get the drop tube and loading the powder by hand. Other than that check your adjustments and trim like robo said.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #5

Default powder

is the dillon like the lee powder measure.the case pushes the tube up and activates the powder measure.if it is you have the measure set wrong back it off and push acase up then bring measure down to touch.while holding case up.what ever you are forching the case into the measure.
2230 powder was made for the 223.you can get more in as less air space.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the info ... I've been looking into some of the suggestions even before I asked the question but thought I'd get some opinions. I'm probably going to H335 but now I've got 7 lbs. of this IMR4198 to figure out what to do with. I could possibly use it in the .308 with a 150 gn FMJBT in the AR10 ... I just haven't seen any load data for it.