Hornady LNL for .40S&W-Help!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hornady LNL for .40S&W-Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hornady LNL for .40S&W-Help!

Guys,

I'm brand new to reloading so please bare with me on this long email. I bought a Hornady LNL AP to reload for my handguns. The primary use will be for .40 S&W in an M&P pistol. I will also use it for .38 special and .357 in a revolver.

For equipment here's what I have coming; Nitride die sets, taper crimp die for the .40, shell plates, through the powder drop expander, powder cop, RCBS 505 scale, bullet puller, Hornady tumbler, RCBS media separator, and some misc. items. I have 3 reloading manuals, Hornady, Lyman and Lee for cross reference.

Here's some of my questions. How do you handle the primers on a progressive press? I figure I will tumble the cases with the spent primers in since they don't get removed until the sizing operation. Since it's a progressive, what about cleaning the primer pockets? I would have to pull out each case after the sizing/de-prime station and before the primer gets seated to clean, which defeats the purpose of the progressive press. I guess I could de-prime as a separate operation first and then tumble, but that seems cumbersome as well. What's the best way to handle cleaning primer pockets?

I'm also confused about case trimming. It isn't really addressed for handguns like it is for rifles. Do the handgun cases need to be trimmed? I bought the extra taper crimp die for the .40 since I understand it seats on the mouth and you don't want to use a roll crimp like what comes with the bullet seating die. As a side, why do they even set up the .40 bullet seating die with a roll instead of taper anyway? I guess to sell a separate taper crimp die.....Anyway, does the sizing die take care of the overall length or do you need to trim? I assume if the cases are different lengths you would get variation in the crimp. Not good I assume. I bought the through the powder drop expander to have a station available for both the powder cop and the taper die.

Any help on these questions will be much appreciated. Since I've been waiting for weeks to get all my stuff I figured I would do as much homework while I was waiting to get off to a good start. Are there any other necessities I should be looking at as well?

Thanks!
Rick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off welcome to the board. Getting to some of your questions first

Here's some of my questions. How do you handle the primers on a progressive press? I figure I will tumble the cases with the spent primers in since they don't get removed until the sizing operation. Since it's a progressive, what about cleaning the primer pockets? I would have to pull out each case after the sizing/de-prime station and before the primer gets seated to clean, which defeats the purpose of the progressive press. I guess I could de-prime as a separate operation first and then tumble, but that seems cumbersome as well. What's the best way to handle cleaning primer pockets?

Normally you don't clean the primer pockets, unless your looking for extreme accuracy, you shouldn't have any problems. I have done 4k-5k of 40 S&W reloads and some of the cases have been reloaded 5 times and I have never cleaned a primer pocket. My .40cal gun is my carry weapon. I don't shoot alot, but I feel its as accurate as any other short barreled semi with dirty primer pockets. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm also confused about case trimming. It isn't really addressed for handguns like it is for rifles. Do the handgun cases need to be trimmed? I bought the extra taper crimp die for the .40 since I understand it seats on the mouth and you don't want to use a roll crimp like what comes with the bullet seating die. As a side, why do they even set up the .40 bullet seating die with a roll instead of taper anyway? I guess to sell a separate taper crimp die.....Anyway, does the sizing die take care of the overall length or do you need to trim? I assume if the cases are different lengths you would get variation in the crimp. Not good I assume. I bought the through the powder drop expander to have a station available for both the powder cop and the taper die.

Again I've never had to trim any of my .40 cal brass, eventhough some of it has been reloaded 5 times. Rifle cartridges - absolutely - a definate must. But pistol cartriges usally bulge more that expanding in length.

Your question about crimping - I use a taper crimp die (I have the blue machine and I use blue dies). Works like a charm.

Its a great hobby, read alot and learn