Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Hornady Dies (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/hornady-dies-83274/)

aandabooks 02-03-2013 03:56 PM

Hornady Dies

I picked up a 2 die Hornady set for .223. It comes with the full length resizing die and the bullet seating die. There is no powder die. I have a Lee Auto Disc for my pistol caliber reloading but it doesn't set high enough for rifle calibers without getting the conversion to add more discs.

I have been thinking about adding a bench mounted powder measure. Is that the route I should go? It seems like the easiest option and then I don't have to buy a powder through die for every rifle caliber I might setup for.

Txhillbilly 02-03-2013 04:18 PM

I've always found it faster/easier/more accurate to use a loading block,and load powder in all my rifle calibers using a powder thrower like a RCBS Uniflow or other brands.
I like all my rifle powder loads to be exact,and you won't get that if you mount it on your turret press,unless you measure each charge.

cottontop 02-03-2013 05:21 PM

What is a "powder die?" As far as I know, all rifle die sets are sold with a FL sizing die and a bullet seating die. Some Lee sets may have a collet neck sizer (which I don't like) included. But, a powder die is a new one on me. Besides, I weight each charge separately anyway. The only way to get consistent accurate loads. All of my rifles shoot MOA, and most are sub MOA. That has taken a lot of work I attribute it to measuring each charge accurately as one reason. It really does not take much time after you have done it for a while.
ct

aandabooks 02-03-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1122166)
What is a "powder die?" As far as I know, all rifle die sets are sold with a FL sizing die and a bullet seating die. Some Lee sets may have a collet neck sizer (which I don't like) included. But, a powder die is a new one on me. Besides, I weight each charge separately anyway. The only way to get consistent accurate loads. All of my rifles shoot MOA, and most are sub MOA. That has taken a lot of work I attribute it to measuring each charge accurately as one reason. It really does not take much time after you have done it for a while.
ct

Maybe there isn't an equal in the rifle dies. For my .45 dies I bought a 4 die Lee set and the second die flares the case mouth and lets the powder dump through the die. The case activates the powder throw.

But when I picked up a set of Hornady 9mm dies it is a three die set. It doesn't have a powder through die. I have one on order through Lee.

I think I'll probably just pickup the Hornady powder measure and mount it on m bench. Might check what my reloading LGS has.

locutus 02-03-2013 10:03 PM

Get a quality powder measure like the Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc. and add a LEE factory crimp die.

nitestalker 02-03-2013 10:22 PM

Lee has a powder die which holds a drop thru expanding ball. This die has a threaded funnel bushing which can be removed to allow a powder measure adapter to be thread on. Not a bad set up.:)

aandabooks 02-04-2013 02:44 AM

Went and looked on Midway and see that they carry what else I need. Unfortunately, out of stock until later this month. My question is, why don't die manufacturers put together a set of dies with everything already in the box? Looks like I'll need a crimping die.

tri70 02-04-2013 12:09 PM

A powder drop mounted separately works best. You can put the powder away back into a sealed container easier than one mounted on the die, very little spilling.