Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hornady custom vs Hornady superformance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hornady custom vs Hornady superformance

I was recently at Bass Pro Shop the other day and purchased some ammo for my 30-06. I bought the Hornady Custom 165gr SST. However, the Hornady Superformance also had 165gr SST. The only difference I could see was the box and the price. What is the difference since both have the same grain, SST rating, and also the same polymer tip?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

You can get SST's in both custom and superperformance (replaced Hornady's light magnum product).

The superformance is about 200 fps faster than custom. I shoot the superperformance 139 gr SST's in my 280. I shoot custom 150 gr SST's in my 308.

When I changed from standard ammo to superperformance in my 280, the s.p. was about 4 inches higher at 100 yards that standard ammo.

There is more than just a price difference between custom and superperformance.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 09-07-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: custom , not cutom

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #3

so would you say that it allows for a flatter trajectory therefore making your firearm more accurate over varying distances?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #4

Also, I have heard that the superformance is possibly hand loaded with a more premium powder. Then again, you have to be careful with what you read.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by navvet08 View Post
so would you say that it allows for a flatter trajectory therefore making your firearm more accurate over varying distances?
Flatter, yes. More accurate, not necessarily. The drop at say 300 yards should be less, but the grouping may not change significantly.

Also, since kinetic energy equals mass x velocity squared, the s.p. load packs more energy.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #6

Also, since kinetic energy equals mass x velocity squared, the s.p. load packs more energy.[/QUOTE]

If the custom round has the same grain and same design how is superformance faster? Please pardon my ignorance and my persistence.

Last edited by navvet08; 09-07-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: meant to add superformance

Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by navvet08 View Post
Also, since kinetic energy equals mass x velocity squared, the s.p. load packs more energy.
If the custom round has the same grain and same design how is superformance faster? Please pardon my ignorance and my persistence.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to some info:

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Product Line :: Superformance®

Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Hornaday has developed some new propellants to yield more velocity out of a given load while not exceeding SAAMI pressure standards. Pretty cool stuff. They are now marketing the bulk propellants for handloaders.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

I'm afraid I am really ignorant as I don't know what SAAMI pressure standards are. In the military SAMI stood for Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor. I can only assume that the SAAMI pressure standards to which you refer has something to do with the grain of the powder or propellant. However, when you assume, we all know what happens . Is there a link, article or book that could help me better understand the lingo? Thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute.

The cooperative (Non Governmental) organization run by the gun and ammo makers that establishes specifications for cartridge dimensions and pressures. Because of them 7mm Remington Magnum ammunition will fit and shoot properly in any such chambered rifle even Winchester, Browning and Savage.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball