hornady critical duty .45 bullet set back
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > hornady critical duty .45 bullet set back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default hornady critical duty .45 bullet set back

Ok, so I am having an issue with my Hornady CD .45 ammo. Now before you go lecturing about the "never rechamber more than once" rule, know that I am not a new shooter, I have known of this rule for some time and while I still rechamber rounds, I keep an eye on the bullet seating. That being said, I am having some issues with my .45 ammo in my Sig 1911. I have 1 round that I originally noticed the issue with and then 1 round that I itentionally rechambered to recreate the problem. After just 3 or 4 rechamberings the bullet has been seated sigfificantly further into the casing than factory seating. I run Horandy CD and TAP as my SD ammo in all my 9mm handguns and I regularly rechamber those and have had no issue at all. I even rechambered the same 9mm round in my G19 last night at least 20 times and had no noticeable difference in bullet seating. It just seems to be an issue with the .45 critical duty. I dont have any pictures right now but I will take one tonight and post to show the difference. My understanding is that since .45 is a relatively low pressure round, some set back would not greatly affect the functionality of the round but I am still wary of firing these rounds that have been affected. Im not a reloader and I dont know much about crimping and all that. Is Hornady known for lose crimping? Could it be my gun? Is there another brand of good SD ammo that has exceptionally tight crimping? I need some help here so I dont blow my damn hand off.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Liked 387 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Sorry to be the revolver guy here but what is rechambering?

Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
Sorry to be the revolver guy here but what is rechambering?
loading a round into the chamber, ejecting said round, then reloading that same round into the chamber in a semi auto

Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Do you have a set of calipers to measure the amount of setback?

Crimping the case mouth in a 45 ACP is not to secure the bullet, it is there to remove the case mouth flare applied to ease in bullet seating.

Are there and marks or dings in the bullet or the case after chambering?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #5

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Do not attempt to fire ammo that has visible setback. The problem with setback is that it doesn't take much to generate ridiculous pressures. Especially when you consider that this is SD ammo we are talking about. It will very likely be at or near max pressure at normal OAL, add setback and you have a recipe for problems.
If you know any reloaders, the ammo can be fixed with careful use of a bullet puller and press, restoring it to the same length as a pristine unused round. For practice use anyway.
I have no experience with Hornady SD ammo. I use Winchester Ranger T 230 gr in my DW CCO. It has proven tolerant i.e. no setback issues.

Crimping as such, isn't the fix. Semi auto ammo typically has a taper crimp which isn't intended to add much to the equation aside for removing the mouth bell created as part of the seating process. In many cases, sd ammo will have a canrelure on the case right at the base of the bullet as a preventive measure. I'm not familiar with any home reloading gear for canneluring reloads. There might be gear, I've just never searched for any.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 08-13-2013 at 03:18 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #6

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Set back in a .45 doesn't need measuring. If you see it, chuck it. If you can't see it, you wouldn't know there was an issue to warrant measuring.

I have noticed that set back does seem to be a bit more prevalent with .45 ACP.

I never rechamber the same round frequently. When I clean without shooting, I unload the mag and put that previously chambered round at the bottom. Next time around, I repeat. If I've gotten to the point where a full mag has been rechambered more than once, I ain't hitting the range NEARLY enough. For perspective, I do regular cleaning without shooting every two weeks or so. I clean immediately after shooting, or as soon as I can.

A 7 round mag, 2 weeks cleaning interval... if I've rotated every round to the bottom of the mag at least once, that means I haven't been to the range in 14 weeks at least. That ain't happening, and hasn't happened yet.
People Like This 
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #7

thanks for the responses so far guys. I think a call to Hornady may be in store because after posting this initial thread I went to their website and saw this about the critical duty ammo

2) CANNELURED BULLET WITH CRIMPED CASE ensures no bullet setback during feeding.

So the fact that I am getting bullet set back after only 3 or 4 rechamberings SHOULD be covered under their warranty as manufacture defect. We shall see. Those two rounds are going to be pulled once I get home.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #8

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

They probably intended that to be only ONE chambering (yes, I've seen set back with only one chambering).

Still, it's worth a call, go for it.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Some chamber designs are more forgiving than others. The shallower the angle of the bullet to the chamber the less effect it will have on bullet setback.

1911 have a pretty steep bullet to chamber angle as the ogive will hit the top of the chamber then tilt down and go in. Thats why proper throating is so important on them and setback is such a huge issue.

A lot of 9mm especially the berretta 92fs/m9 have a super shallow bullet to chamber angle and setback pretty much doesnt happen with these guns and guns like them where the bullet is inline with the chamber.

Its not a fault of the ammo but a problem with the 1911 design.

Do not fire those rounds they arent safe to shoot.

It doesnt matter if a 45acp has a cannelure or not it serves no purpose at all since the 45acp headspaces off the case mouth. The crimp step of loading is a taper crimp and serves only to remove the bell from the case mouth at bullet seating. If it was roll crimped and used the cannelure you would have headspace issues and possible hangfires and nofires.

Cannelures exist to give space for a roll crimp and serve no purpose in a cartridge that headspaces off the case mouth other than a visual way to tell if a bullet is seated in the case correctly.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Do not attempt to fire ammo that has visible setback. The problem with setback is that it doesn't take much to generate ridiculous pressures. Especially when you consider that this is SD ammo we are talking about. It will very likely be at or near max pressure at normal OAL, add setback and you have a recipe for problems.
How much does it take?

According to this test, A Lot.

https://plus.google.com/+luckygunner/posts/CiVxdHvWjYS