Hornady brass

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hornady brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Hornady brass

I have been reloading some 44 mag and 45 Colt and I ran across some Honady brass that was too short! I mean about a millimeter...didn't think to measure it at the time. Never had this problem before but I have run across it a lot in the past few months. It is so short the rounds aren't even close to touching the crimp shoulder in the die and they aren't getting belled! Anyone else noticed this?

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #2

That's odd. I've heard that the Hornady LEVERevolution brand sometimes has shorter than normal brass, to accomadate the longer pointed bullets. Most notably in the 45-70. They make LEVERevolution ammo in 44mag & 45 Colt, so maybe this brass is also shorter???

MotorG20

Old 03-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Hmmmmm

Why would they make the cases shorter? Seems all you would have to do is move the cannelure up the shank a bit and seat the bullet deeper. Makes no sense to me as you would still have the same pressure either way.

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

The ogive of the bullet would be at the mouth of the case rather than a crimp groove. Making the case shorter allows for a more pointed ogive giving a more streamlined profile.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball