Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Homemade bullet lube. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/homemade-bullet-lube-25283/)

Rick1967 03-28-2010 04:51 PM

Homemade bullet lube.

Anyone using their own special recipe for bullet lube? I bought an RCBS Lube a Matic 2 at a yard sale with all the accessories. No lube to be found anywhere in my city. I did a google search and found a few different recipes. I used one that was 1/3 lb bees wax, 1/3 lb parafin wax, and a tablespoon of petroluem jelly. It really turned out nice. Then again I have been tumbling the entire bullet in liquid alox. I guess anything would look good now. I loaded up 50 rounds of 45 auto. They were the easiest bullets I have ever seated. I am going to the range later today. I will post results here. I am curious to see if it will foul my barrel at all. I have been using a 155 grain round nose flat point in front of 3.8 grains of titegroup. I use CCI large pistol magnum primers. This has been a very accurate and controlable load for me. I am new to the Lube-A-Matic 2 machine. Any advice is welcome.

I got a heck of a deal by the way. Lube-A-Matic 2, 12 dies, 19 top punches, 1 RCBS 357 mag 4 hole bullet mold with handles, 1 RCBS 44 Mag 2 hole bullet mold with handles and an Ideal 1 hole 44 mag hollow point mold with handles. I paid $45 for everything! Now I just have to buy a 44 mag! That is one of the few calibers I don't shoot. But this is a great excuse to go buy one!

BillM 03-28-2010 05:51 PM

Thread drift:

3.8 titegroup with a 155 in a 45? Sounds like a nice light target load.
Any idea of the velocity? Did you have to put in a lighter recoil spring to
get it to function?

Back to your previous subject.:)

Rick1967 03-28-2010 06:24 PM

It's an awesome target load. I have not changed any springs. My 1911 is one of my carry guns. I don't like changing it back and forth.

I started with less powder and worked my way up until it became reliably functioning. This shoots flawlessly in my gun. I worked it up for a competion that I shoot twice a year. It is an IPSC style match.

I don't know the exact velocity but I believe it is somewhere a little over 700 fps. I am planning on buying a chrono soon. I just keep seeing too many other nice toys. If I aim a little high I can hit a 5 gal bucket at 100 yards. If I don't aim high it's way short.

robocop10mm 03-28-2010 08:29 PM

$45 for all that? Steal!!!

Rick1967 03-29-2010 01:22 AM

Ok, back from the range. 18 rounds of 357 mag. I used my homemade lube. 150 grain lead bullet. 6.1 grains titegroup. 1212 fps according to my hodgdon book. Good stout load. Plenty of recoil. I expected to see some lead in the barrel when I got home. Remember thats over 1200 fps with a lead bullet. When I got home I grabed my bore light and checked the barrel. It looked like the gun had not been shot. If someone had handed me the gun and said they had just fired 18 rounds through it I would figure they were lying!

I put 12 rounds into the target below. This was at 25 yards, standing, unsupported.

My 1911 put 50 rounds down range. All in the black. No lead in the barrel. By the way. This is a good target load. But it will really tear up a bowling pin. I sure wouldn't want to get hit with one. My friend shot a bowling pin with a 230 grain fmj. But they just kept glansing off the pin. He was hitting it. But not penetrating. Mime tore the crap out of it.

doctherock 03-29-2010 01:25 AM

please share the wealth with us. How you mixed the concoction and how to use it.....details

Rick1967 03-29-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 259491)
please share the wealth with us. How you mixed the concoction and how to use it.....details

I bought a pound of bees wax at hobby lobby. I need a better source. It was 14.99 for a pound. I am sure that if I shop around I can get it for under $10. I also bought a pound of parafin wax at hobby lobby. I cut the bees wax into thirds. The parafin was already packaged that way. I put 1/3 pound of each wax in an old camping pan. Juist a cheap aluminumn pan. I heated it up outside on a coleman stove. when it was liquid I added a tablespoon of petroleum jelly and mixed it all up. I poured in into my lube a matic after it cooled a little. I poured the rest of it into a glass jar. Iput the glass jar on one of those candle warmers to melt it again so I could pour more in later. Worked great. And really, $20 for over 2 pounds of lube is not too bad. It would have cost me more than that to get one stick from midway after shipping.

robocop10mm 03-29-2010 03:02 AM

What kind of alloy are you using? Wheel weights? Do you drop them into water?

I use a lubricator heater to use high temp lubes. They are less messy as they set pretty hard. Jakesproducts.com is my source.

I will have to keep your recipe in mind in case electricity gets scarce and I need to make bullets.

Rick1967 03-29-2010 03:35 AM

I use pure wheel weights. I melt them down to make ingots. Then melt them again to make bullets. I drop them onto a folded towel. I let them air cool. I do not add anything to the wheel weight metal. I have probably shot close to 10,000 rounds with no problems what so ever.

efaz1 03-29-2010 04:42 AM

Look on ebay for better prices. I use the same stuff that dillon does for case lube, works just as well, 95%of 90% alcohol, to 5% lanolin, heat and shake.