Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   hollow tip bullets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/hollow-tip-bullets-2368/)

ArmyOfFurbies 10-18-2007 04:26 PM

hollow tip bullets

I was looking under the cushions of my couch for my remote control when I was suprised to see a hollow tipped bullet had fallen out of someone's pocket. It looked like it would be used in a pistol and had a small length and diameter.

Are there any kind of bullets that are illegal? Forgive me for my ignorance of ammunition knowledge.

What is a bullet with a hollow tip called and why is the tip hollow?

1hole 10-18-2007 05:14 PM

A bullet with a "hollow tip" is called a hollow point. Other points for handgun bullets are Soft Point, Round Nose, Wad Cutter, Semi-Wad Cutter, and Spire Point. Some bullets are Full Metal Jacket, Lead - either Copper washed or natural, Jacketed or half-jacketed, each with a point designed for a specific purpose. You may have found a .22 rim fire cartridge.

The major reason for most bullet designs are based on the need for rapid or slow expansion at the target. Hollow points are expected to expand well but, at handgun (low) velocities, they often fail to expand at all so it's largely physycological for the shooter.

Cartridges may be loaded with any of these bullets. None are illegal. Yet.

robocop10mm 10-18-2007 06:18 PM

Hollow points

Except in New freaking Jersey. I believe HP handgun ammo is illegal there for non LEO's.

1hole 10-18-2007 10:25 PM

robocop10mm - "Except in New freaking Jersey. I believe HP handgun ammo is illegal there for non LEO's"

Interestin, but I guess it's no surprise. Doesn't really matter, a properly made soft point is more reliable anyway but don't tell the pollyticans!

1984cj 10-19-2007 03:00 PM

Teflon coated ammunition is illegal in AL. But hollow points are fine.

Dgunsmith 10-20-2007 04:41 AM

TEFLON coated bullets

Original KTW ammo "armor piercing" handgun rounds were teflon coated to keep the hard bullets from tearing the rifling out of the barrels by acting as a lubricant.

Teflon coating a bullets does not make it armor piercing, no more than nyclad coating makes federal 38 specials armor piercing.

Moly coating doesnt make bullets penetrate any more than normal either.

Teflon doesn't make a bullet a "Cop Killer" Round !:eek:

matt g 10-20-2007 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgunsmith (Post 10561)
Original KTW ammo "armor piercing" handgun rounds were teflon coated to keep the hard bullets from tearing the rifling out of the barrels by acting as a lubricant.

Teflon coating a bullets does not make it armor piercing, no more than nyclad coating makes federal 38 specials armor piercing.

Moly coating doesnt make bullets penetrate any more than normal either.

Teflon doesn't make a bullet a "Cop Killer" Round !:eek:

Funny what the media can do to weak minds isn't it?

HadEmAll 11-05-2007 06:08 AM

What kind of markings are on the head? (the flat part opposite the actual bullet)

robocop10mm 11-05-2007 02:10 PM

HP ammo

DGUNSMITH, +1 on your analysis of the KTW. You are right on. I have a couple of the original rounds in the display case. Interesting to note that a "cop killer bullet" has never killed a cop.

I had a dumb a$$ rookie book a guy for possession of AP ammo for having a mag full of Nyclad ammo in a High Power. I pointed out the problem with his logic and charges were dropped. Media hype is a very dangerous thing. More dangerous than guns, ammo or gang bangers.

pioneer461 12-20-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 10471)
Except in New freaking Jersey. I believe HP handgun ammo is illegal there for non LEO's.

In New Joisey hollow point ammo is even illegal for cops. Federal found a way around it by making Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ) ammo. They have a piece of silicone where the cavity would be, and covered it with the copper jacket, scored from the inside. These bullets expand and retain weight better than most HPs.