Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Is hollow point ammunition any noiser than any other ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6908

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNLaFrance View Post
The Magnificent .357 Magnum

I'll bet somewhere on that box of cartridges you bought are the letters HP (hollow point) or maybe JHP (jacketed hollow point).
Yes, I looked and it says ".357 magnum 158 gr. JHP" I didn't know what "JHP" meant, but I do now. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Sounds like you need to look for FMJ on the box... Full Metal Jacket... They're actually more common to find in my area than HP's.
Also, thank you to you, too. I will look for FMJ. I am guessing Full Metal Jacket's are not hollow point, then.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #12

Liked 1348 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Default Lets make some noise!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I am very new to guns and the range I'll be going to does not allow hollow point cartridges for target shooting. They said "because of the noise". Is hollow point ammunition any noiser than any other ammunition? Also, I bought some .357 magnum 158 grain loads. When I got them home I saw they were hollow points. I know this is probably a dumb question but are there .357 magnum loads that are NOT hollow points? If so, can you tell me what brands or what I should ask for at the gun shop? Thank you.
Next time go there with either a 44 mag or .454 and see what he says about the noise. I thought people wore hearing protection ?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #13

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Yes, I looked and it says ".357 magnum 158 gr. JHP" I didn't know what "JHP" meant, but I do now. Thank you!

Also, thank you to you, too. I will look for FMJ. I am guessing Full Metal Jacket's are not hollow point, then.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help.
FMJ or as the military calls them, Ball ammo are what you need to look for.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #14

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Winds, since you didn't know about the JHP thing, you might have missed the 158 gr. thing. That means 158 grains, which is a measure of mass for the bullet, the actual projectile.

.38 special bullets are often 110 grains, sometimes as big as 135 grains. This is one reason why the .357 magnum ends up having more energy at impact, since the bullet has up to 40% more mass.

I am no ammunition expert, though, just a math guy.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #15

Thanks, Chris. I did know the higher grain the more velocity. Actually, the .38 specials and the .357 magnums I got are both 158 grains. But thanks for the info. I am learning and can use all the help I can get. I've had this gun for about 3 weeks now and I haven't shot one round out of it yet. I'm working up to it.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
FMJ or as the military calls them, Ball ammo are what you need to look for.
Thanks, Canebrake. I'll look for those.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #17

Oh, geeze. Thanks for correcting me. See why I haven't taken my gun to the range yet? I'm afraid I don't know enough!!!!

Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #18

"Is hollow point ammunition any noiser than any other ammunition?"

No.

".. are there .357 magnum loads that are NOT hollow points?"

Yes.

Your choice of a .357 is one of the best, not withstanding the current lack of recognition by the press and people hyped on currently popular large capacity but puny handguns/cartridges.

Have no fear, you can be assured that all factory ammo is quite safe for any firearm in good condition. After you put a half box of ammo through it you will be laffing at yourself!

Last edited by Fuzzball; 09-04-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #19

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Winds, one of the best things about this forum is that there are a huge number of great experts on so many subjects, and they are always so willing to help people out who ask sincere questions.

There are also people wiser than I who would leave this alone so someone more knowledgeable would address it.

I am NOT one of those experts, but I am going to take a quick stab at this one and someone will fix my errors.

The mass of the bullet does change its velocity. Given the same pressures in the casing at the time of firing, the heavier the bullet the SLOWER it flies. So people make a choice: smaller/faster or bigger/slower.

One can change this equation by increasing the pressures in the casing so the same mass of bullet can be shot at faster speeds, thereby increasing its energy at impact. .38spl +p adds this extra pressure, allowing the shooter to choose a larger-massed bullet that will fire at the same speed as a smaller-massed bullet in a standard pressure round.

Some people choose a large bullet (you said you had a 158 grain .38spl round which I'd never seen before) even though they know it will be going slower. And some choose smaller bullets (110 gr.) so that it will be flying much faster.

The .357 round is loaded to even higher pressure than .38spl +p and thus can fire even larger bullets at the same speed and even higher speeds, giving it so much more energy at impact.

Now, larger in mass does NOT mean it creates any larger hole, since the larger mass in the same caliber necessarily means longer, not wider. Here's where my knowledge gets really murky. I've gathered that more energy means a larger hole at the very instant of impact (temporary cavity), but the same hole as any other bullet of that caliber of any speed (permanent cavity). And this is the reason why .40S&W and .45acp are so useful: the hole they make is so much larger.

That was fun.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
Have no fear, you can be assured that all factory ammo is quite safe for any firearm in good condition. After you put a half box of ammo through it you will be laffing at yourself!
Thank you ever so much for that vote of confidence. You give me the encouragement I need. I will bring my gun to the range Tuesday and report back to you. I hope I'm laughing at myself and not discouraged.

You're probably wondering why I even got a gun in the first place. I was seeing this guy who took me shooting and I got hooked. I wanted my own gun and he suggested this Ruger GP100 for a variety of reasons. Now that I have the gun, he has since broken up with me and I kind of lost my "mentor" but I'd still like to keep the gun so I am trying to learn on my own.