Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Is hollow point ammunition any noiser than any other ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6738 Times on 4071 Posts
Likes Given: 8030

Default Is hollow point ammunition any noiser than any other ammunition?

I am very new to guns and the range I'll be going to does not allow hollow point cartridges for target shooting. They said "because of the noise". Is hollow point ammunition any noiser than any other ammunition? Also, I bought some .357 magnum 158 grain loads. When I got them home I saw they were hollow points. I know this is probably a dumb question but are there .357 magnum loads that are NOT hollow points? If so, can you tell me what brands or what I should ask for at the gun shop? Thank you.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I saw some .357 non-hollow points yesterday online, but why not just use .38 special for targets? You can find the .38 special in FMJ easily at the Walmart i visit. I think the .38 is a bit less expensive, as well as easier on the ears & wrist.

edit*
http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-357-mag-ammo-357mag142fmjtcfiocchi-1000
This is what i saw yesterday & this is a new site vendor. Heck, i'm kinda tempted here, myself.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-03-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never heard of that before. I don't know why cartridges with hollow point bullets would be louder than with solid points. I'd call the range and ask for clarification on this.

The .357 Magnum is louder than the .38 Special because it's more powerful. Both cartridges can use the same .357 inch bullets, and there are .357 Mag rounds that are not hollow points. Yes, ask at the gun shop, I'd think they ought to have a box or two.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I saw some .357 non-hollow points yesterday online, but why not just use .38 special for targets? You can find the .38 special in FMJ easily at the Walmart i visit. I think the .38 is a bit less expensive, as well as easier on the ears & wrist.

edit*
1000 Rounds of Bulk .357 Mag Ammo by Fiocchi - 142gr FMJTC
This is what i saw yesterday & this is a new site vendor. Heck, i'm kinda tempted here, myself.
Well, I am going to use the .38's for target shooting but I want to be familiar with shooting the .357 magnum, too. I want to experience the recoil so I know what to expect. I just want to really know my gun and experience shooting it in both calibers.

So, most .357 magnum cartidges are hollow point, I take it. How do you know by looking at the box whether it's hollow point or not. I looked the box over very closely after I got it home and discovered the .357 magnums I bought were hollow point and I don't see where it says that anywhere on the box. Or is that something that most shooters know?

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-03-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have to read the box. If you need to, ask to open the box to see one. Some places might be offended, but i've never had that problem. The last time i was at Walmart, there was a city policeman comparing two different rounds, side-by-side.

Alternatively, you could ask the salesperson for help with it (not so much at Wmart) or look for popular brands online with the features you want then ask for that brand.

edit* What brand is the .357 ammo you have?

I'm kinda surprised they have a ban on HP's at the range; i would think shooting HP would be safer, ricochet-wise. I've never noticed the noise difference personally.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Magnificent .357 Magnum

I'll bet somewhere on that box of cartridges you bought are the letters HP (hollow point) or maybe JHP (jacketed hollow point).
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
National Congress of Old West Shootists (NCOWS)
Grand Army of the Frontier
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like you need to look for FMJ on the box... Full Metal Jacket... They're actually more common to find in my area than HP's.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNLaFrance View Post
The Magnificent .357 Magnum

I'll bet somewhere on that box of cartridges you bought are the letters HP (hollow point) or maybe JHP (jacketed hollow point).
I'll look again. I would never think to just look for "HP" or "JHP". I wouldn't know what that meant if I saw it, but I will now. Thank you. I am very new to all this and as you can see, I have a lot to learn.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Look for ammunition marked FMJ. FMJ = Full Metal Jacket

oops, beat me to it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

HP ammo is not louder. The more common NON hollowpoint .357 mag will be JSP (jacketed soft point) and SWC (semi-wadcutter) You may also find some TMJ (total metal jacket) which is used to reduce lead vapor in the air- jacket metal wraps all the way around the lead core, including the base. Some ranges have restrictions on the use of partially jacketed bullets since the jacket metal can come loose on hitting a hard backstop, and bounces around a bit. You may also find RN or LRN (lead round nosed).

Before buying more ammo, you may want to check with the range and see exactly what their requirements are- see the line below.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.