Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hodgdon Powder question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2271 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Hodgdon Powder question

This may have come up before, but what is the difference between Clays, Universal, and Universal Clays? They seem to use some confusing verbiage in the naming of powders. It seems that using the data from one similar sounding name powder with another may have disasterous results.

Inquiring minds want to know.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Universal and Universal Clays are the same powder, not sure why they get interchanged but they do. Clays I'm not really sure about as I've never used it. I have noticed in pistol loads it requires less powder then Universal but never tried it....burns faster maybe? Even though these were both developed for shotguns I've never tried to load either.

I've been using Alliant powders for my shotguns and have been happy. American Select is outstanding for 12ga target loads in 7/8 & 1 oz. Now I'm going to have to try both of these powders since you made me look at the data.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #3

Liked 625 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
This may have come up before, but what is the difference between Clays, Universal, and Universal Clays? They seem to use some confusing verbiage in the naming of powders. It seems that using the data from one similar sounding name powder with another may have disasterous results.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Burn Rate
Since the data is is listed as Clays, universal, and international it should not be to hard using reloading manuals..

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Burn Rate
-snip-
NICE!
Thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2271 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 160

So Universal Clays is another name for Universal? Clays is different? They also have International Clays. WTF? Are they trying to blow us up?

Call each by a distinctly different name please. Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Clay Dot, 231, 296, 748, Reloader 2 - 22. Something that makes enough sense on it's face to avoid a catastrophic mistake!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

From Hodgdon.com

CLAYS
Introduced in January, 1992, CLAYS gunpowder has "taken the clay target world by storm". It is the cleanest burning , most consistent 12 ga. 7/8., 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. powder available today, the preferred choice of competitive target shooters.. The superb burning characteristics of this powder produce soft, smooth recoil and excellent patterns. These features transfer directly to handgun applications where target shooting is the main goal. 45 ACP and 38 Special are only two of the cartridges where CLAYS gunpowder provides "tack driving" target accuracy with flawless functioning. Available in 14 oz., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

INTERNATIONAL CLAYS

INTERNATIONAL CLAYS gunpowder is the second in the "CLAYS" gunpowder series of powders, bringing this technology to the 20 gauge reloader. It also works in 12 ga., 2 3/4" light, medium and heavy 1 1/8 oz. loads, and high velocity 1 oz. As with CLAYS gunpowder, clean burning and flawless functioning is the rule. Available in 14 oz., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

UNIVERSAL CLAYS
UNIVERSAL Clays gunpowder handles the broadest spectrum of cartridges for both pistol and shotgun. This is the Clays gunpowder technology designed for 28 gauge shooters. From the 25 ACP to the 44 magnum and 28 gauge to 12 gauge, UNIVERSAL CLAYS gunpowder provides outstanding performance. As with all the "CLAYS" gunpowder series powders, clean burning and uniformity are part of its attributes. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #7

Liked 625 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Stay away from Titewad and Titegroup then. Your stance is well taken, but it is the same argument as to why all 4064 or 4350 powders are not the same. Same number!! Different powder. I guess they figure that reloaders are not illiterate. Not all us gun toters are backwoods unedumacated rednecks.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I must say that I got into Universal when I first started reloading because it could do so much. I wanted a powder that I could load my 45s and 38s with and it fit the bill. The lower pressure pistol loads with Universal are very nice. I never really considered their shotgun performance.
If you start getting into magnum loads performance drops off but there are still loads for your 357 and 44 mag that are reasonable.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #9

I have been using Universal Clays for some time. Clays is not the same powder as Clays Universal, hence the different load data. Clays is a much faster powder than the Universal. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

God, it is no more confusing than Red Dot, Clays Dot, Green Dot, and Blue Dot (are there any other Dots?).
They are almost universally referenced as Clays, International, and Universal. Universal is supposed to be "cleaner" than Unique and generally is used at about 1 gn less powder for equivalent performance.
Clays is a very fast shotgun powder. It is the burn range of TiteGroup, AA2, Clays, N320, Competition, and WST.
International Clays is formulated for International Skeet and Trap loads(generally lighter and much faster than used in US competitions. It is in the burn range of 700X, Green Dot, International Clays, AA5, and WSL.
Universal Clays is a sort-of universal shotgun powder. It is in the range of Unique, Universal, N330, and Power Pistol.
None were designed for pistols.
Clays is very fast and also has a very "hockey-stick" like powder spike if you exceed max loads. It is best used for light to mid-range target loads in low pressure pistol cartridges like .45 Auto and .38 Special.
It is being "misused" by many as they prefer the price and recoil impulse for action shooting competition. Very heavy bullets and very fast powders are the order of the day for 9x19 and .40S&W loads in these sports.
I hope this is of some help.