Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Help Me Reload (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/help-me-reload-5991/)

dragunovsks 08-01-2008 09:11 PM

Help Me Reload

Hey guys, I'm about to buy a single stage reloading press to reload 5.56, .45ACP, 9mm and 7.62x54 and maybe slugs for my shotgun. I've never attempted to reload before and could use some advice. Thanx for the help.

cpttango30 08-01-2008 09:21 PM

I don't think you can reload slugs on a regular single stage press made for rifle and pistol loading.

Also check out this thread it tell you everything you need to buy tool wise to start reloading.

Dillinger 08-01-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 34482)

Also check out this thread it tell you everything you need to buy tool wise to start reloading.

That's an excellent thread and a great read. Really well put together by someone who does it all the time and knows what he is talking about. ;)

JD

RL357Mag 08-03-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 34482)
I don't think you can reload slugs on a regular single stage press made for rifle and pistol loading.
g.

Correct! But Lee makes the nicest one for the money!

robocop10mm 08-04-2008 12:58 PM

I loaded on a single stage RCBS for a couple of years and made the jump to a Dillon progressive. The single stage press still gets a work out doing things like primer pocket swaging and loading the .45-70 (I am too chap to buy the Dillon Conversion for it). The Lee shotgun loader works well but you can pick up a used MEC machine for not much more. The Lee shotgun loader has a cast aluminium base and may crack if not treated nicely. As long as you don't try to force something, the Lee will do fine.

RL357Mag 08-04-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 34794)
I loaded on a single stage RCBS for a couple of years and made the jump to a Dillon progressive. The single stage press still gets a work out doing things like primer pocket swaging and loading the .45-70 (I am too chap to buy the Dillon Conversion for it). The Lee shotgun loader works well but you can pick up a used MEC machine for not much more. The Lee shotgun loader has a cast aluminium base and may crack if not treated nicely. As long as you don't try to force something, the Lee will do fine.

I think to prevent any damage due to the aluminum base it's wise to use bolts of the correct diameter, with washers, to bolt it down to your bench. I've had two Lee single stage presses (Challenger and Turret Press) for years and never had a problem - they are both cast aluminum, but the biggest case I load is the .303, so I don't exert a lot of force on the base. Besides, because of the design, there is virtually no stress on the base.

robocop10mm 08-05-2008 07:53 PM

I was thinking of the Lee in line shotgun loaders. I used one years ago and the base was thin cast aluminum. Yes using the correct hardware can minimize the chance of breakage. The Lee "O" frame presses are very good. As with any mechanical device, it is possible to overly stress the design and break it.