Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Help!!! I have a Mauser action with a 6mm Scott (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/help-i-have-mauser-action-6mm-scott-5661/)

wbales 07-18-2008 03:20 AM

Help!!! I have a Mauser action with a 6mm Scott

Help !!! I have just unwrapped a really nice custom built rifle built on a Mauser Action and the Barrel is stamped 6mm Scott Yes I know that some guys liked the idea of seeing their name on what they felt was the ideal tweaked cartridge but not being much of a rifle person my self I don't know where to start. The rifle was given to me by a friend 35 years ago in the Dayton Ohio area. How do I go about finding what will fit this gun. Thanking anyone in advance that might set me straight. I am now retired and finally have time to use it.

Minionsram 07-18-2008 04:51 AM

If you are good with a set of micrometers and such, You can get some "cerro-safe" and do a casting of the chamber. Or you can do it the easy way and take it to a good gunsmith and tell them to do aa chamber casting. In some of the custom rifles of long ago they would bore the rifles to diffrent calibers than that was on the barrel. The good smiths would stamp the correct one on there. Ill so some research for you in my library and see what I can come up with. I have not heard of a 6mm scott though. Ill search and see what I can come up with.

Dillinger 07-18-2008 02:40 PM

^^ +1 on that. I haven't heard of a 6mm Scott. It's not uncommon for 'smiths to stamp their name, or their company name, on the barrel after the caliber for future identification. If that would be the case, it would be a 6mm, made by Scott.

I would suggest getting it in the hands of a quality gunsmith and letting him tell you what it's chambered for. It might cost you a little bit of money, but then the 'smith is responsible for the information and you aren't putting yourself at risk.

That's a new one by me - Best of Luck...

JD

Minionsram 07-18-2008 05:12 PM

I have found that there was a benchrest caliber called the 6mm scott, it is now discontuned. I am trying to see if I can get a blueprint of the round for you. It might have another name as well, but I can not find any information in any of my books on it. I will continue looking for it.

Just do me a favor and if you take it somewhere let me know so I can stop researching this for you.

Minionsram 07-19-2008 08:26 PM

OK I have found nothing! In all my books or anywhere on the net. I even sent a inqurery to Brownells, Dillonpress, and rcbs. They all told me that they have no information on this round.

Take it to a local gunsmith and have them do a chamber casting of it. Then ask them to blueprint what they have found. If at all possable send me, please!, that blueprint so I can put that in with my others. I have never been stumped like this, and I dont like it. I now would like to reclame some of my pride. LOL

Dillinger 07-19-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minionsram (Post 32513)
I have never been stumped like this, and I dont like it. I now would like to reclame some of my pride. LOL

Minion - Your O.C.D. is showing... and I have to say, I like it's color... LOL

JD

c3shooter 07-20-2008 04:32 AM

Don't know that this is it, but may be a starting point-
http://www.calivc.com/6x47.html

cpttango30 07-20-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger
I would suggest getting it in the hands of a quality gunsmith and letting him tell you what it's chambered for. It might cost you a little bit of money, but then the 'smith is responsible for the information and you aren't putting yourself at risk.

+10000000000000000000000000 on this one.

Wildcats are a goofy bunch of cartridges. You may have a rifle chambered for the 240 UltrashortLoudnboomer and your buddy may have the same chamber but if they were done by two different smiths they may be different. Each gunsmith does things differently so you end up with different results.