Help with the dillon xl 650 please
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Help with the dillon xl 650 please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 241 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Default Help with the dillon xl 650 please

So my first order of bullets came in today, hornady jhp in .451 for .45 acp. So I go out to the reloader and begin to set everything up (this will be my first load ever), I follow the instruction manual to a t. But when the bullet goes into the last stage( the crimping stage) I look at it and the bullet is loose inside the case. So i tried making it crimp harder which does the same thing and also just pushes the bullet farther down the casing and also i try crimping it lighter but still no luck. So what am i doing wrong? Any help would be awasome because right now I feel like an idiot.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Check your seating/crimping die, most of them have 2 adjustments. One pushes the bullet into the case and the other sets the crimp. I forget the proper names for them and i'm sure someone will fill in the blanks pretty soon.
Look at the paper work that came with the dies, it should tell you how to set the dies and most have pictures you can look at to get the proper crimp.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #3

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 623

It sounds like you are expanding the case too much when resizing,or if you have an expanding die for powder charging it could be over expanding the case mouth.
Look at your die setup instructions,and reset the sizing die/expanding die,then you will have to reset the crimp die after you get things going.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 241 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 535

hey guys thanks for the advice, and yes i was over sizing the case, problem solved and I made a few rounds, so now i just need to hit up the range. Again thank you all for the help, you all are some good folks.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 09-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #5

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

When in doubt call Dillon. They will get you all set up and going.

What kind of Dies are you using?