haz mat fee
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > haz mat fee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default haz mat fee

I have a few qustions about this who get the fee the company I order from ups or the feds, who set the fee? why is it 25.00 dollars why not 10 0r 5 what so special about 25.00.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

UPS or FedEx gets the money. Fee is what it is because that is what they decided they wanted for the different handling that hazmat requires. BTW, I DO hope that is powder or primers that you are gettig stuck for a HAZMAT fee. There IS no HAZMAT fee for ordinary small arms ammo unless a shipment is over 66 lbs. Just ship UPS GROUND for ammo.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Like C3 said,the carrier gets the Haz-Mat $$.

Unless I need to order several 8lb jugs of powder or several bricks of primers,I try to keep from paying the fee.

What really sucks is Cabelas,They sell the powder in jugs online but don't stock them in the Ft.Worth store.They have free shipping on orders picked up at the store,but you still have to pay the $25 fee for powders/primers,even though your stuff was shipped in an 18 wheeler full of their stuff from the warehouse.

I usually just ask my local dealer to add my stuff to his order,and get out of paying the extra fee.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks alot guys I still think this 25 bucks is a RIP OFF! I have to order powders and primers so I will go to powder valley this time but I'l start looking at guns shows and small shops.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
Thanks alot guys I still think this 25 bucks is a RIP OFF! I have to order powders and primers so I will go to powder valley this time but I'l start looking at guns shows and small shops.
thats your best bet......i will be at the indy 1500 for reloading supplies......if i need something between shows i drive the hour to a shop i know that stocks plenty of reloading supplies and gives me good deals. (at least better than i can get from the local shops)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
thats a big reason i shop around at various stores i dont really like. cabelas gander mountain and some other local shops that stock. i generally get what i need for a little less than the shipping cost plus hazmat fees.

altho my local dealer orders he may cut me a deal and still make money and save me a bit on larger orders. ill have to hit him up on this hmmm....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I order my primers and powder from Powder Valley. Lets just say I want 5K primers and several lbs. of powders.

Locally 5K primer any brand/variety will average between $30 and $35 per K thats $150 to $175 out the door primers only. Powder will run anywhere for $23 to $28 per lb. depending on brand,so lets just say $46 for two lbs. for a grand total of $176 local.

I've been using Wolf primer from PV the past couple years there $15.50 per K or $77.50 for 5K primers. Even paying hazmat and shipping fees which are $40 to my door I still save $32.50 on what the local primer would have cost me,which I now apply to my powder order for two 1 lb. cans of Alliant 2400 which is $31.

So basically for what 5K primers cost me local I can get 5K primers and two lbs. of power plus pay the shipping and hazmat fees and still save money.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Does powder valley charge sales tax on out of state internet sales ? I thought I read somewhere that the state of Kansas has a tax on internet sales.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i buy my powder and primes from LGS. he sells it for about $9 a pound higher than Midway, but i still save a lot even with the drive and the difference in the hazmat fee. i usually buy several pounds of powder and a few hundred primers, so i still save over buying it online.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
UPS or FedEx gets the money. Fee is what it is because that is what they decided they wanted for the different handling that hazmat requires. BTW, I DO hope that is powder or primers that you are gettig stuck for a HAZMAT fee. There IS no HAZMAT fee for ordinary small arms ammo unless a shipment is over 66 lbs. Just ship UPS GROUND for ammo.
Just a note - A HAZMAT fee is also charged for shipping Tracer/Incendary Projectiles.