Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   haz mat fee (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/haz-mat-fee-49013/)

lonewolf101 09-29-2011 09:19 PM

haz mat fee

I have a few qustions about this who get the fee the company I order from ups or the feds, who set the fee? why is it 25.00 dollars why not 10 0r 5 what so special about 25.00.

c3shooter 09-30-2011 02:02 AM

UPS or FedEx gets the money. Fee is what it is because that is what they decided they wanted for the different handling that hazmat requires. BTW, I DO hope that is powder or primers that you are gettig stuck for a HAZMAT fee. There IS no HAZMAT fee for ordinary small arms ammo unless a shipment is over 66 lbs. Just ship UPS GROUND for ammo.

Txhillbilly 09-30-2011 04:56 AM

Like C3 said,the carrier gets the Haz-Mat $$.

Unless I need to order several 8lb jugs of powder or several bricks of primers,I try to keep from paying the fee.

What really sucks is Cabelas,They sell the powder in jugs online but don't stock them in the Ft.Worth store.They have free shipping on orders picked up at the store,but you still have to pay the $25 fee for powders/primers,even though your stuff was shipped in an 18 wheeler full of their stuff from the warehouse.

I usually just ask my local dealer to add my stuff to his order,and get out of paying the extra fee.

lonewolf101 09-30-2011 09:02 PM

Thanks alot guys I still think this 25 bucks is a RIP OFF! I have to order powders and primers so I will go to powder valley this time but I'l start looking at guns shows and small shops.

fmj 09-30-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf101 (Post 590167)
Thanks alot guys I still think this 25 bucks is a RIP OFF! I have to order powders and primers so I will go to powder valley this time but I'l start looking at guns shows and small shops.

thats your best bet......i will be at the indy 1500 for reloading supplies......if i need something between shows i drive the hour to a shop i know that stocks plenty of reloading supplies and gives me good deals. (at least better than i can get from the local shops)

JonM 09-30-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf101 (Post 590167)

thats a big reason i shop around at various stores i dont really like. cabelas gander mountain and some other local shops that stock. i generally get what i need for a little less than the shipping cost plus hazmat fees.

altho my local dealer orders he may cut me a deal and still make money and save me a bit on larger orders. ill have to hit him up on this hmmm....

res45 10-01-2011 11:06 AM

I order my primers and powder from Powder Valley. Lets just say I want 5K primers and several lbs. of powders.

Locally 5K primer any brand/variety will average between $30 and $35 per K thats $150 to $175 out the door primers only. Powder will run anywhere for $23 to $28 per lb. depending on brand,so lets just say $46 for two lbs. for a grand total of $176 local.

I've been using Wolf primer from PV the past couple years there $15.50 per K or $77.50 for 5K primers. Even paying hazmat and shipping fees which are $40 to my door I still save $32.50 on what the local primer would have cost me,which I now apply to my powder order for two 1 lb. cans of Alliant 2400 which is $31.

So basically for what 5K primers cost me local I can get 5K primers and two lbs. of power plus pay the shipping and hazmat fees and still save money.

ron12301 10-01-2011 10:03 PM

Does powder valley charge sales tax on out of state internet sales ? I thought I read somewhere that the state of Kansas has a tax on internet sales.

Axxe55 10-03-2011 04:51 AM

i buy my powder and primes from LGS. he sells it for about $9 a pound higher than Midway, but i still save a lot even with the drive and the difference in the hazmat fee. i usually buy several pounds of powder and a few hundred primers, so i still save over buying it online.

anm2_man 10-04-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 589725)
UPS or FedEx gets the money. Fee is what it is because that is what they decided they wanted for the different handling that hazmat requires. BTW, I DO hope that is powder or primers that you are gettig stuck for a HAZMAT fee. There IS no HAZMAT fee for ordinary small arms ammo unless a shipment is over 66 lbs. Just ship UPS GROUND for ammo.

Just a note - A HAZMAT fee is also charged for shipping Tracer/Incendary Projectiles.