having hard time finding ammo out there
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > having hard time finding ammo out there

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default having hard time finding ammo out there

Hi, I bought my first rifle 1.5 years ago a remington 597 at sports authority. I also bought a 500 ct box of ammo, winchester brand . I just remember that they were non plated lead hollow points. Purchased same kind once again last winter. I wanted to go to the range in june but basically til today every time ive gone to sports authority they dont have them and the guy tells me they never sold 500 ct in .22 ammo.

Im thinking the times ive purchased them ive just been lucky , because I looked at my receipt from when I purchased my gun , I only paid 11.99 for 500 rd, and I remember paying the same the second time , yet I go online on different sites, not only is almost every brand of ammo out of stock the cheapest 500 round that i found was like $20 +.

the nearest cheapest gunshop to me doesnt have ammo more than 100 count in high velocity and its like $14 a box. Ive been on at least 8 different sites looking for ammo , but it seems that all cheap practical ammo is out of stock, i dont know if its just a business tactic or if theres some type of national shortage on ammo. any advice on where to look will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There's been a shortage, but it seems to be starting to ease up a bit. Twenty bucks or more for a box of 500 .22LR is pretty common these days.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Walmart always has 500 rd boxes of Federal .22 LR for $12 or $15. They aren't necessarily 'high velocity', but they're good plinking rounds. and they're reasonably accurate.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #4

walmarts in NY stop selling rifles and all related items few years ago here

Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #5

I dont remember a walmart selling guns. But, the ammo here isnt a big issue. Ive got plenty, but I like to go look at the ammo when I'm bored.

S.S.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #6

I remember maybe like in 00 or 01 when they opened up the closest one to me they sold shotguns and rifles. I moved to california for a while, came back in 05 and they got rid of all the guns and ammo. they built another walmart close by no guns but they got scopes.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wal-marts here in Arkansas still sell rifles and shotguns, but no longer sell pistols and haven't for a few years. They do have a new mini-14 at my local though for $617. They still sell all types of ammo besides defensive pistol rounds here as well, but it won't be long before they collapse under political pressure from the libtards.

I've been able to get 550rd boxes of remingtons for $15.97. The .45 ammo is the hardest to come by these days here. I see them once or twice a month in WWB's and Federal Champion range rounds. WWB's are $29.97 100rds and Federals are $14.97 50rds.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

22s are showing up here again and are reasonably easy to find. I can get 9mm, 357 sig 40, but 45 is almost impossible to find as is 38 and 357 mag.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The WalMarts in upstate NY all sell guns and ammo. Haven't seen any bulk .22 ammo (Fed Value Pak, Rem, or Winchester 333's) in many months...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my walmart here in turlock ca got a bunch of different calibers of rifle ammo in but pistol ammo still only trickles in.