Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Have you ever wanted to kick yourself? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/have-you-ever-wanted-kick-yourself-71946/)

Txhillbilly 09-06-2012 07:00 PM

Have you ever wanted to kick yourself?

I loaded up more test loads for the 7mm/08 last night.I bought some Plano ammo boxes at Academy last year,and have never used them.
After loading the shells-40 total,20 with H4350/4 different charge weights and 20 with IMR 4350/4 different charge weights,I put them into one of these Plano shell boxes. The lid wouldn't close!
The OAL of these loads are only .022" longer than a factory spec length.I guess Plano doesn't want anyone to use their products for custom handloads.

Today,I go out to the shop to put these loads in another(taller) ammo box,and just as I start swapping them out,I knocked the ammo box with the loaded shells off the bench,and they all go rolling across the floor.
I wanted to kick myself in the ass for doing this!!!!!:o

So,Then I spent another hour or so with a bullet puller,so I could get all of the different powder's and weight charges figured out,and put them all back together again.
I'll be tossing these Plano ammo boxes in the trash,all of my ammo is longer than factory spec,and I really don't want to do this type of thing again.

orangello 09-06-2012 07:02 PM

{lil johnny raises hand} I can't picture the Plano boxes, but couldn't you just drill out the end of the bullet cavities a little bit for more clearance?

spittinfire 09-06-2012 07:13 PM

.022" is quite a bit.

Txhillbilly 09-06-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 930701)
{lil johnny raises hand} I can't picture the Plano boxes, but couldn't you just drill out the end of the bullet cavities a little bit for more clearance?

They are like any of the other plastic ammo boxes that hold 50 cartridges,but these are on the short side.They say they are for 308 caliber,but there isn't anyway a longer than factory spec-2.800" cartridge will fit.
They were on sale last year,and I just grabbed a bunch of them.
All of my good 308 ammo boxes are full of ammo since I load/shoot a bunch of 308 stuff.
I just need to order a bunch more since I'll be loading 7mm/08 and 6.5 Creedmoor now,and they use the same type of box.

I was just pissed that I knocked them off the bench,and then had to pull all of the bullets in order to figure out what the powder's/charge weight's were in each case.
Sometime's,Stupid just happens!!

Txhillbilly 09-06-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 930714)
.022" is quite a bit.

Not to me,Spitty
I can still go out another .020" with these if I want. LOL

Dillinger 09-06-2012 07:18 PM

As soon as I started to read the thread and the resulting issue, I knew where this was going and laughed.

I too have been there my friend. I feel your pain, but I am also taking a bit of humor is it's not me. :p

fmj 09-06-2012 07:23 PM

could you have just weigh the loaded cartridge and deduced from there what cartridge held what powder charge? Thus saving yourself the headache of pulling and re-rolling every round.

Trez 09-06-2012 07:29 PM

You could send me those boxes rather than throwing them away.... ;)

Txhillbilly 09-06-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 930736)
could you have just weigh the loaded cartridge and deduced from there what cartridge held what powder charge? Thus saving yourself the headache of pulling and re-rolling every round.

If it would have only been 1 type of powder,then you can weigh each cartridge on a scale,and get most of them figured out.
But since I had 2 different powder's with different burn rates,I wanted to make sure which was which.
These are test loads for accuracy,I want them to be correctly done or there's no sense in even shooting them.

Txhillbilly 09-06-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 930749)
You could send me those boxes rather than throwing them away.... ;)

Trez,Send me a PM with your address.I'll get them to you.

THB