Have you been asked to share your ammo? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Have you been asked to share your ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All of you raise great points, and I absolutely agree that in instances where a seasoned gun owner just simply sat on his/her butt and/or spent disposable income on other items during this prolonged craze, all the while thinking that the sky wasn't REALLY falling, that person made personal choices and there are consequences for those choices. I also was not really pointing my boney, indignant finger at individuals who actually SHOOT the ammo they buy.

Also, I have little sympathy for those not willing to put in a little elbow grease to try to find ammo. Certainly there are steps one could take to try to find some ammo beyond going to their local LGS and hoping to luck into a well-stocked ammo display (kind of like finding a pink unicorn in my recent experience). Talk to your LGS/Wally World/other retail outlet to find out when their ammo shipments come in and then be there at the right time. Sometimes that works but often times it doesn't. You could try to buy online but every online source I've seen recently has its ammo backordered. You can also try gun shows, though I've been to a couple recently and popular calibers sell out quickly and for ridiculously high prices. My point is, though, that purchasing ammo in today's climate often requires thinking outside the box. If the newbie is unwilling to do that I don't have as much sympathy for them.

My problem is with those who have, yet don't CONSUME, the thousands of rounds of ammo they already have but continue buying boxes upon boxes of ammo "just in case." As bluez said above, the ammo does no one any good to have it just sit in someone's rainy day stash. Plus it often time ensures that the newbie that we've "called to arms" can't go out and actually shoot the gun he/she bought.

Don't misunderstand me--I do not believe every well-stocked gun enthusiast should be taking on charity cases or are obligated in any way to freely share their ammo or charge $3 for a 50 round box of 45 cal. or 223/5.56. But there is definitely something wrong when gun owners sitting on tens of thousands of rounds continue buying out the stock at Gander Mtn./Cabela's/etc.

Last edited by raf66; 02-22-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #32
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 964 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

You can have my wife, and my dog, but the ammo stays!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf66 View Post
My problem is with those who have, yet don't CONSUME, the thousands of rounds of ammo they already have but continue buying boxes upon boxes of ammo "just in case." As bluez said above, the ammo does no one any good to have it just sit in someone's rainy day stash. Plus it often time ensures that the newbie that we've "called to arms" can't go out and actually shoot the gun he/she bought.

... But there is definitely something wrong when gun owners sitting on tens of thousands of rounds continue buying out the stock at Ganger/Cabela's/etc.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, how many rounds in storage or a SHTF stash is too many? Is this a static universal number like "100 rounds per rifle and 500 per handgun" or is variable based on the "hoarder's" shooting habits?

I'm not saying you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG, but where exactly should we draw that line? Me personally, i like to have about 1000 rounds for each firearm in a "reserve" of ammunition for an emergency, outside of what i plan to plink or hunt with. I am not currently at that "reserve" (always short on .38 and 9mm) level with all of the firearms and calibers that i shoot.

I do try to avoid buying the last box of any ammo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

orangello, there is no absolute number that I can even conceive of, nor should anyone be telling another gun owner how much is enough. But I've seen some people (purely anecdotal so it might not be the norm) who literally have 8-10,000 rounds each of various calibers and they are still in line to be the first ones to enter the LGS after a shipment has arrived so they can buy as much they can carry.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
orangello, there is no absolute number that I can even conceive of, nor should anyone be telling another gun owner how much is enough. But I've seen some people (purely anecdotal so it might not be the norm) who literally have 8-10,000 rounds each of various calibers and they are still in line to be the first ones to enter the LGS after a shipment has arrived so they can buy as much they can carry.
I would be very suprised if people holding 8-10000 rounds of each caliber is "the norm". Even in decent times, that is thousands of dollars of ammo (except .22LR).

I could absolutely be wrong on that, but i doubt most of us or even a significant percentage of us are holding that much ammo in reserve. Probably there are some reloaders with no cable TV who have reached those levels.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #36

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

If you weren't smart enough to see the writing on the walls before this you deserve to be ammoless. I got enough for me and mine you need to go find your own.

Let me look at my spread sheet.

15k 556 ar
5k 223 for bolt guns
25k 308 175gr
3.5k 308 150 gr
22.5k 9mm
30.5k 45acp
then about 10k rounds of a bunch of other stuff that I don't shoot much. I think I can hold out for a little bit.

Last edited by gunnut07; 02-22-2013 at 10:32 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5759 Times on 3257 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:

I saw this coming long ago. Back in 2008, when Barf-rock O sh!thead was first elected.

I haven't bought a single round of ammo or a single component since the election last November.

I chose to leave if for those who would get caught short.

At my current rate of consumption, I will run out in 2 1/2 to 3 years, unless the situation moderates. But if it stays the same, I will cut back on consumption.

Winston Churchill
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #38

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

BO has wanted gun control since 2007, fools didn't pay attention to his agenda for the last 5 yrs and now are crying about high prices or no ammo on shelves? Place an order online and back order and wait, reload, shoot what's in stock. I sacrificed a newer vehicle, no central heat, do all repairs I can do. Why? Because I bought reloading supplies, guns, gear. I will sell you some at today's premium prices. I still find bullets and powder, just bought 2lbs of Varmit and split with a buddy in need. I have different priorities over the last 5 yrs. clothes on our backs, food on the table, bills are getting paid. Take a day off work and catch a shipment at Wal mart or Academy Sports or whatever you have close. I hit all the stores around me and have found a little of everything.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #39
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 964 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

If you give someone ammo, sell them ammo, and evil happens with the ammo you provided, some lawyer snooping around, will locate you, and make your life miserable. Not worth it. Stores have liability insurance for that probability. Do you?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #40

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
If you give someone ammo, sell them ammo, and evil happens with the ammo you provided, some lawyer snooping around, will locate you, and make your life miserable. Not worth it. Stores have liability insurance for that probability. Do you?
The OP was speaking of close personal friends. I would hope none of us here keep evil close personal friends.

Besides, it would be hard to make such a liability claim stick in a free state, unless the seller has prior knowledge that the buyer intends to commit a crime.

If it were that easy, the used car market would've dried up years ago. Habitual drunk drivers tend to drive used, ergo, those prosecuting drunk drivers should maybe go after those who sell used cars? Would never hold up in court.