Have you been asked to share your ammo? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Have you been asked to share your ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

A few friends have asked if I would sell them some ammo , I have a decent little stockpile myself and repeatedly I will tell them "sorry I dont have any extra right now " , They all know better but its like their waiting for me to slip up when they ask . My wife has said the same thing . "You could sell it and make a premium right now" . Yes she is right but I try to explain to her what happens when you need it most and dont have it . The conversation usually stops right there . Why ? because she knows Im right

Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #22

Liked 493 Times on 337 Posts

Wow just read all your guys threads this is deja vu spelling? But months ago I told all my friends they better stock up on guns and ammo. but did they listen no!!!!!!!!. And well like a week ago they asked if I'd sell some. I said yes only if they can find me the primers and powders lol. we know that's impossible. and of course a year and a half ago they all thought I was crazy for buying all the reloading supplies . to get started in reloading and I love it. I'm new to this form thing so thank you for reading.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3244 Posts
Likes Given: 5167

I fail to see the point in tying up my money in a bunch of ammo, when I can just go to wally world at any time and get all I want.

Ever hear that one?????? Sorry, I only have enough for myself!

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #24

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I fail to see the point in tying up my money in a bunch of ammo, when I can just go to wally world at any time and get all I want.

Ever hear that one?????? Sorry, I only have enough for myself!
You got that right brother ^^^^^^^^^^^

Its called preparation folks , Think about a few of these questions

You do it every day , you put fuel in your vehicles to get some where right ? you prepared for the drive. You go to the store right ? at least we do and buy enough groceries for 2-3 weeks . Why that much? so I dont have to go to the store every night and figure out whats for dinner and hr before its dinner time also saves fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle.
You use coupons right ? you are prepared to help save money .
I could go on and on about it but I hope people understand where Im going .
I used to buy ammo when it was on sale , if I had a extra $10 for the week I would buy a box or 2 of ammo . Why ? preparing I guess, and for what ? is the next question . Well look where we are now , no ammo on the shelves and when you do find it people are asking stupid prices $60 for a box of 500 rds of .22lr . Not me , Glad I stocked up a bit

Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm new here (and to guns in general) so my opinion may not be the same one shared by many of the more experienced gun owners on the site. I'm offering it as "food for thought" to those of you who've seemingly taken the position of "screw those who didn't prepare themselves."

I've got no problem with making sure you do all you can to take care of yourself and your family should a Zombie Apocalypse occur (or civil unrest, or a huge solar flare...). I mean, the doomsday prepper shows are all the rage right now, so clearly looking out for ourselves is of primary importance to many Americans, as well it should be. Since I'm new to the game (had a handgun 8-9 years ago for a short while but with 2 young kids elected to sell it to appease the wife), I'm coming into the fold right smack dab in the middle of this buying craze/shortage. Therefore, not only am I paying a premium for guns/ammo (when they can be found at all), I'm also stuck with the slim-pickings that are available. I get it. I'm late to the game so I need to pay my dues and get in line. But stopping there is short-sighted in my opinion.

I guess I would've considered gun owners/enthusiasts more of a small, close-knit group willing to help like-minded individuals learn about and participate in the world of guns. I mean, we want as many Americans exercising their 2A rights as possible, right? What I'm experiencing, instead, is a myriad of "experienced" gun owners who take it upon themselves to clean out whatever source of ammo at every LGS/online store there is to find and to heck with all others. Is that the face of gun ownership we should be putting forward in today's climate?

What chafes my backside even more is that many of these bulk buyers already have thousands upon thousands of rounds sitting at home. Really? Those folks who already have enough ammo to last them through an entire armed insurrection and allow them to practice shooting at the range before the armed insurrection even begins feel it is right to hoard whatever selection of ammo they see fit to the exclusion of someone new to guns who can't even find ANY ammo to shoot the gun for the first time? I mean, when is enough enough?

I'm about as conservative as anyone I have ever known or even heard of, and I believe in and wholeheartedly endorse capitalism, individual exceptionalism and personal responsibility, but HAVING THE RIGHT to hoard ammo when you already have tens of thousands of rounds does not MAKE IT RIGHT when doing so deprives someone new to the ranks of gun ownership of even being able to find a SINGLE box of cheap plinking ammo to practice and learn and grow in the sport. I mean, I thought the goal was to increase our numbers, not lock people out of the sport.

Look, I'm not blaming gun enthusiasts for the shortage or unbelievable price increases that are happening right now as it's not the consumers' fault. The fault lies at the feet of politicians who have come to believe that certain Constitutional rights are not sacrosanct, and that only those in power know what's right for the lowly populace. I'm assuming this decidedly European world view that permeates some of our current government leaders will eventually swing back the other way and individual rights and freedoms will again be held inviolate. In so doing it's likely the ammo/weapon shortage and price gouging will go away (or at least decrease to a great extent). When that time comes we will all breathe a collective sigh of relief. But to those who have hunkered down and have ascribed to the belief that it's "every man for himself" with respect to purchasing ammo, give it a rest for a day or three. If you've got 10,000 rounds of 9mm (or .40 or 45 or 223/5.56, etc.), let the new guy/gal/college student/grandparent have a chance to purchase and put downrange 50-100 rounds of ammo so they can learn/experience the sport. If you've got a buddy or family member who's new to the sport, and that person just recently purchased a hangun but can't find ammo while you on the other hand have enough to arm yourself and your entire neighborhood for months or years, invite him or her to go to the range with you and put a few shots through paper. If they ask to buy a box from you and you have plenty, sell 'em a box at market prices. I might be an "evil right winger" who doesn't give a hoot about the environment or people's health or corporate greed or corruption or the other nonsense spewed by the left, but I do believe that, when possible, people can and should share with other like-minded individuals and unload a box of ammo or two at market prices when asked by a buddy or family member who cannot locate ammo. I really don't believe being helpful to fellow gun owners has to turn us into communists. And to those who have several thousand rounds stored at home, do you really believe that buying all of the remaining boxes of ammo at the LGS once/twice per week, or refusing to share/sell a box or two of 20 or 50 rounds to someone you know who is new to the "community", is the way to strengthen your ability to defend yourself or your family should the apocalypse begin? Will you not have the ability at a later date to replenish (and grow) your stash after assisting a newbie with 50-100 rounds of plinking ammo to give them their initial opportunity to shoot their new gun?

Guns are nothing but expensive hammers without ammo, and if we REALLY want as many law-abiding citizens to become gun owners as we can get in order to quell the political crap storm that is brewing (and to some degree is already here), let's leave some bread crumbs on the shelves so others can participate, especially if you have several thousand rounds of various calibers/platforms already stored at home. Otherwise these new gun owners, who are likely to be or at least become ardent 2A supporters, will be left defending themselves and their families with that expensive hammer.

**Pseudo-Rant off**

Last edited by raf66; 02-22-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I have about 1000 rds .223/5.56 and 500 rounds 9mm. That is not going to be touched until I think things have calmed down. Until then, that is strictly off limits for target shooting. And I'd like to make that 2000 and 1000.

So no. You are completely in the right.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Your friends sound like asshats. I have this buddy i shoot with sometimes who kept joking with me that "ammo hoarders" and people who bought & saved ammo like me (to a very minor and only comparative extent) were keeping him from having any ammo to plink with. I finally asked him if he would be able to shoot ammo that other people shot any better than ammo they stacked on their gunsafes.

I have curtailed my plinking and we do go "dutch" when i shoot with friends. Now, when one buddy had a car wreck, i did drop off a revolver and some ammo for him to use in the back yard during his recovery.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #28

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

raf: you ahve a good point.

I currently have thousands on thusands or handgun and rifle ammo sathed each. But as soon as the panic started i stopped buying to give others who may need it more an opportunity to stahs up.

it does not help the cmmmon defense if some of us sit on mounatins of guns and ammo and others have none.

Thats why I made a point during this xcrises to sell 2 AR at 90% of current market and 3 cases at 70-80% of current market value as a service ot the greater cmmmunity.

I only regret i didnt get more during the year so I could help out more of my fellow americans.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2837 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf66 View Post
I'm new here (and to guns in general) so my opinion may not be the same one shared by many of the more experienced gun owners on the site. I'm offering it as "food for thought" to those of you who've seemingly taken the position of "screw those who didn't prepare themselves."

I've got no problem with making sure you do all you can to take care of yourself and your family should a Zombie Apocalypse occur (or civil unrest, or a huge solar flare...). I mean, the doomsday prepper shows are all the rage right now, so clearly looking out for ourselves is of primary importance to many Americans, as well it should be. Since I'm new to the game (had a handgun 8-9 years ago for a short while but with 2 young kids elected to sell it to appease the wife), I'm coming into the fold right smack dab in the middle of this buying craze/shortage. Therefore, not only am I paying a premium for guns/ammo (when they can be found at all), I'm also stuck with the slim-pickings that are available. I get it. I'm late to the game so I need to pay my dues and get in line. But stopping there is short-sighted in my opinion.

I guess I would've considered gun owners/enthusiasts more of a small, close-knit group willing to help like-minded individuals learn about and participate in the world of guns. I mean, we want as many Americans exercising their 2A rights as possible, right? What I'm experiencing, instead, is a myriad of "experienced" gun owners who take it upon themselves to clean out whatever source of ammo at every LGS/online store there is to find and to heck with all others. Is that the face of gun ownership we should be putting forward in today's climate?

What chafes my backside even more is that many of these bulk buyers already have thousands upon thousands of rounds sitting at home. Really? Those folks who already have enough ammo to last them through an entire armed insurrection and allow them to practice shooting at the range before the armed insurrection even begins feel it is right to hoard whatever selection of ammo they see fit to the exclusion of someone new to guns who can't even find ANY ammo to shoot the gun for the first time? I mean, when is enough enough?

I'm about as conservative as anyone I have ever known or even heard of, and I believe in and wholeheartedly endorse capitalism, individual exceptionalism and personal responsibility, but HAVING THE RIGHT to hoard ammo when you already have tens of thousands of rounds does not MAKE IT RIGHT when doing so deprives someone new to the ranks of gun ownership of even being able to find a SINGLE box of cheap plinking ammo to practice and learn and grow in the sport. I mean, I thought the goal was to increase our numbers, not lock people out of the sport.

Look, I'm not blaming gun enthusiasts for the shortage or unbelievable price increases that are happening right now as it's not the consumers' fault. The fault lies at the feet of politicians who have come to believe that certain Constitutional rights are not sacrosanct, and that only those in power know what's right for the lowly populace. I'm assuming this decidedly European world view that permeates some of our current government leaders will eventually swing back the other way and individual rights and freedoms will again be held inviolate. In so doing it's likely the ammo/weapon shortage and price gouging will go away (or at least decrease to a great extent). When that time comes we will all breathe a collective sigh of relief. But to those who have hunkered down and have ascribed to the belief that it's "every man for himself" with respect to purchasing ammo, give it a rest for a day or three. If you've got 10,000 rounds of 9mm (or .40 or 45 or 223/5.56, etc.), let the new guy/gal/college student/grandparent have a chance to purchase and put downrange 50-100 rounds of ammo so they can learn/experience the sport. If you've got a buddy or family member who's new to the sport, and that person just recently purchased a hangun but can't find ammo while you on the other hand have enough to arm yourself and your entire neighborhood for months or years, invite him or her to go to the range with you and put a few shots through paper. If they ask to buy a box from you and you have plenty, sell 'em a box at market prices. I might be an "evil right winger" who doesn't give a hoot about the environment or people's health or corporate greed or corruption or the other nonsense spewed by the left, but I do believe that, when possible, people can and should share with other like-minded individuals and unload a box of ammo or two at market prices when asked by a buddy or family member who cannot locate ammo. I really don't believe being helpful to fellow gun owners has to turn us into communists. And to those who have several thousand rounds stored at home, do you really believe that buying all of the remaining boxes of ammo at the LGS once/twice per week, or refusing to share/sell a box or two of 20 or 50 rounds to someone you know who is new to the "community", is the way to strengthen your ability to defend yourself or your family should the apocalypse begin? Will you not have the ability at a later date to replenish (and grow) your stash after assisting a newbie with 50-100 rounds of plinking ammo to give them their initial opportunity to shoot their new gun?

Guns are nothing but expensive hammers without ammo, and if we REALLY want as many law-abiding citizens to become gun owners as we can get in order to quell the political crap storm that is brewing (and to some degree is already here), let's leave some bread crumbs on the shelves so others can participate, especially if you have several thousand rounds of various calibers/platforms already stored at home. Otherwise these new gun owners, who are likely to be or at least become ardent 2A supporters, will be left defending themselves and their families with that expensive hammer.

**Pseudo-Rant off**
I agree with the "help a brother out" sentiment...to an extent.
The problem comes when others decide for themselves what level of charity you're obligated to give. It's kind of an ant/grasshopper thing. Those who had ample opportunity to look out for themselves and chose not to elicit much less sympathy than a newly minted noob.
What is one's obligation? If I have spam cans of ammo I bought 5 years ago, am I obligated to crack them open and sell the contents at 5 YO prices to someone who thought that a new jet ski was more important than having a reserve of ammo and related supplies?
New guy with new rifle? Different kettle of fish altogether. I've known a few of those in recent days and I've done my best to get them pointed in the right direction. None of them have asked me to dip into my private reserve either. They are resourceful adults who have managed to get what they needed, in spite of the current craziness.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3244 Posts
Likes Given: 5167

If I have a friend or neighbor that is new to shooting and guns in general, I have no problem helping him out. That's a no-brainer.

OTOH, the guy at the club that shoots a $2500 Match Grade AR-15 that he bought 25 years ago, but has no ammo because he didn't want to tie his money up in "stockpiling".........well.......he can go F**K himself.

Winston Churchill
orangello Likes This