Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Has anybody experienced this!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Has anybody experienced this!!!

Bought several rounds of American Eagle 223 Tipped Varmint 50 grain because Cabelas had it about a month and a half ago. Decided to use them on a hog hunt 2 weeks ago and found 2 rounds that were over seated by the manufacturer, which is Federal. Check out the pictures and let me know if this has happened to you. Out of the countless thousands of rounds I have purchased and shot, this is a first for me.

223.jpg  

Last edited by hidyhowareya; 02-20-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: word misspelled

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidyhowareya View Post
Bought several rounds of American Eagle 223 Tipped Varmint 50 grain because Cabelas had it about a month and a half ago. Decided to use them on a hog hunt 2 weeks ago and found 2 rounds that were over seated by the manufacturer, which is Federal. Check out the pictures and let me know if this has happened to you. Out of the countless thousands of rounds I have purchased and shot, this is a first for me.
Hmmm rather strange. I personally have never encountered something like this. Did you call cabelas or the manufacturer?

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yep, seen it. With issued ammo. Isn't issued ammo from "Lake City" and run by federal or something?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #4

I contacted Federal last night and by this afternoon they responded. They wanted my contact information, LOT # and LOAD #. Guess that this kind of thing is a concern of theirs. Most of the time when contacting customer service you'll forget about what you even contacted them for by the time they reply.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yep, seen it. With issued ammo. Isn't issued ammo from "Lake City" and run by federal or something?
Lake city is a government supplier of standard .223/5.56. Funny you mention that, just watched a video the other day on the lake city factory.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidyhowareya View Post
I contacted Federal last night and by this afternoon they responded. They wanted my contact information, LOT # and LOAD #. Guess that this kind of thing is a concern of theirs. Most of the time when contacting customer service you'll forget about what you even contacted them for by the time they reply.
Well hopefully they refund you or give you a free box of ammo. Never really bought any federal ammo. Their shotgun loads are cheap; so I hear!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post

Lake city is a government supplier of standard .223/5.56. Funny you mention that, just watched a video the other day on the lake city factory.
But I keep hearing lake city is run by a commercial company. I thought it was federal.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
But I keep hearing lake city is run by a commercial company. I thought it was federal.
Nope! They are a Major Subordinate Command of the United States Army Materiel Command (AMC)

Now whether they sub ammo to federal, which i doubt, I am not sure.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_City_Army_Ammunition_Plant

Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5183 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 4406

Lake City army ammunition plant is operated by Federal Cartridge Company for the army.

The company is owned by ATK.

The federal "military" ammo that you often see on the shelf is govt. contract over run made at the Lake City plant.

The deep seated bullets is not a common thing, but I have seen it from just about every manufacturer.

Golda Meier.

Last edited by locutus; 02-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.
molonlabexx Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Lake City army ammunition plant is operated by Federal Cartridge Company for the army.

The federal "military" ammo that you often see on the shelf is govt. contract over run made at the Lake City plant.

The deep seated bullets is not a common thing, but I have seen it from just about every manufacturer.
Thank you for clearing that up. I was confused in thinking they were strictly gov. but they actually do contract. Thanks.