Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Has anybody experienced this!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/has-anybody-experienced-84647/)

hidyhowareya 02-20-2013 12:48 AM

Has anybody experienced this!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Bought several rounds of American Eagle 223 Tipped Varmint 50 grain because Cabelas had it about a month and a half ago. Decided to use them on a hog hunt 2 weeks ago and found 2 rounds that were over seated by the manufacturer, which is Federal. Check out the pictures and let me know if this has happened to you. Out of the countless thousands of rounds I have purchased and shot, this is a first for me.

molonlabexx 02-20-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidyhowareya (Post 1144926)
Bought several rounds of American Eagle 223 Tipped Varmint 50 grain because Cabelas had it about a month and a half ago. Decided to use them on a hog hunt 2 weeks ago and found 2 rounds that were over seated by the manufacturer, which is Federal. Check out the pictures and let me know if this has happened to you. Out of the countless thousands of rounds I have purchased and shot, this is a first for me.

Hmmm rather strange. I personally have never encountered something like this. Did you call cabelas or the manufacturer?

trip286 02-20-2013 12:59 AM

Yep, seen it. With issued ammo. Isn't issued ammo from "Lake City" and run by federal or something?

hidyhowareya 02-20-2013 01:15 AM

I contacted Federal last night and by this afternoon they responded. They wanted my contact information, LOT # and LOAD #. Guess that this kind of thing is a concern of theirs. Most of the time when contacting customer service you'll forget about what you even contacted them for by the time they reply.

molonlabexx 02-20-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1144946)
Yep, seen it. With issued ammo. Isn't issued ammo from "Lake City" and run by federal or something?

Lake city is a government supplier of standard .223/5.56. Funny you mention that, just watched a video the other day on the lake city factory.

molonlabexx 02-20-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidyhowareya (Post 1144983)
I contacted Federal last night and by this afternoon they responded. They wanted my contact information, LOT # and LOAD #. Guess that this kind of thing is a concern of theirs. Most of the time when contacting customer service you'll forget about what you even contacted them for by the time they reply.

Well hopefully they refund you or give you a free box of ammo. Never really bought any federal ammo. Their shotgun loads are cheap; so I hear!

trip286 02-20-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molonlabexx (Post 1144993)

Lake city is a government supplier of standard .223/5.56. Funny you mention that, just watched a video the other day on the lake city factory.

But I keep hearing lake city is run by a commercial company. I thought it was federal.

molonlabexx 02-20-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1145014)
But I keep hearing lake city is run by a commercial company. I thought it was federal.

Nope! They are a Major Subordinate Command of the United States Army Materiel Command (AMC)

Now whether they sub ammo to federal, which i doubt, I am not sure.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_City_Army_Ammunition_Plant

locutus 02-20-2013 04:02 PM

Lake City army ammunition plant is operated by Federal Cartridge Company for the army.

The company is owned by ATK.

The federal "military" ammo that you often see on the shelf is govt. contract over run made at the Lake City plant.

The deep seated bullets is not a common thing, but I have seen it from just about every manufacturer.

molonlabexx 02-20-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1145766)
Lake City army ammunition plant is operated by Federal Cartridge Company for the army.

The federal "military" ammo that you often see on the shelf is govt. contract over run made at the Lake City plant.

The deep seated bullets is not a common thing, but I have seen it from just about every manufacturer.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was confused in thinking they were strictly gov. but they actually do contract. Thanks.