Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Handloader's Digest or ABC's of Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Handloader's Digest or ABC's of Reloading

Which book/manual would you recommend for a noob at, THINKING of, reloading? I know some will recommend both but which would you get first?

Handloader's Digest

or

The ABC's of Reloading

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #2

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 538

The ABC's of Reloading

i'm reading it now. its good. it describes items and procedures well and also shows photos. the downside is they are not in color. but they still show enough detail.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

ABCs. The books are written for different audiences, the Digest is good but not very helpful to noobs.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Niether. Many of us have reloaded for decades without having seen either of those fine publications.

While both may be informative and interesting I think any good reloading manual will serve you well and give all the instruction you need. With Lee’s Modern Reloading you get instruction as well as load data. Understand the load data is rather generic, but if you use common sense you’ll do fine.

Go to your local gunshop and thumb through a few of the manuals there. Purchase the one that looks the easiest for you to understand. As you get into the hobby, you'll get more.

I have Lyman 49, Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, Modern Reloading (1st and 2nd ed.), and a few older manuals I've picked up along the way.

Last edited by Sport45; 02-06-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45
Niether. Many of us have reloaded for decades without having seen either of those fine publications.

While both may be informative and interesting I think any good reloading manual will serve you well and give all the instruction you need. With Lee’s Modern Reloading you get instruction as well as load data. Understand the load data is rather generic, but if you use common sense you’ll do fine.

Go to your local gunshop and thumb through a few of the manuals there. Purchase the one that looks the easiest for you to understand. As you get into the hobby, you'll get more.

I have Lyman 49, Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, Modern Reloading (1st and 2nd ed.), and a few older manuals I've picked up along the way.
This is sound advice. Other good advice is if you have someone you know and trust, that reloads, teach you how. Get the books either way though.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #6

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

The ABC's is a good starting point. Then you will need a loading manual from one of the bullet companies such as Speer and/or Hornady that gives data for the specific bullet weight (s) you wish to load. Follow the data specifically and do not deviate. Approach the maximum loads with caution. I usually keep my loads several grains below maximum anyway. The bullets hit just as hard for practical applications, easier on barrels, and you use less powder.
cottontop

Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole
The Digest is good but not very helpful to noobs.
I rented the Handloader's Digest from one of my libraries. This is the only one they have in their inventory. Neither one carries The ABC's of Handloading

I agree, for a noob like myself I'm not impressed at all by it. It doesnt have any information that I hoped it would.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7338 Times on 4254 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

I may have both of them (I inherited an extensive reloading library and equipment collection) but I started out with the Lyman book. It was a great introduction to reloading and covers everything the noob needs to know before deciding. Based on what has been said by other posters I would say the ABC's would be just as appropriate.

The thing is I would not recommend starting reloading with having read one book (especially if you do not have a mentor to help you along). When you have read the ABC's once or twice then read another one (perhaps the Digest) and then another. With enough reading you should become familiar with the critical concepts. Once you get started with it it is absolutely critical that when loading you stick with one book. I tend to use the Hornady book when loading Hornady bullets, or the Sierra book when loading Sierra. The important thing to remember is do not cross-reference when loading a given round. Does that make sense?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Does that make sense?
Yes it does. Thank you. I was hoping that the digest one would be more informative.

My father loads shotgun shells, but, I dont think he's done it for a few years. I've heard shotgun and pistol/rifle reloading is different.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

-------------

Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7338 Times on 4254 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
Yes it does. Thank you. I was hoping that the digest one would be more informative.
It could very well be (not having read it myself... yet). Then again it might be too much to begin with for some people. Better to walk before you run. read the ABC's first and then the digest.

I hear shotgun reloading is very different, but I don't reload shotgun myself. I have the stuff to do it but haven't used it yet. Can't be too bad getting stared in shotgun having done pistol and rifle though.