Handguns and Hollow Points
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Handguns and Hollow Points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default Handguns and Hollow Points

Handguns and Hollow Points
by Richard Johnson
Posted 03/08/2011

Blame Hollywood. Blame the evening news. Blame your Uncle Jim. There is a lot of incorrect information out there on firearms and ammunition.

For whatever reason, bullet design and performance seems to have the largest amount of myths and half-truths circling around it. Some of these false beliefs have led to bad movie scenes and even worse, bad laws.

When a handgun is loaded for self defense, most instructors advise to use quality hollow point ammunition. But why?

The Hollow Point Bullet
A hollow point bullet is a bullet that has some type of cavity scooped out of the center. Most hollow points do not have any actual “point” at all. A few like the CORBON Pow’RBall and the Hornady Critical Defense, use a polymer ball for filling in the cavity.

The idea of a hollow point it to cause the bullet to expand when striking the target.

A hollow point is not a “Dum-Dum” bullet. The Dum-Dum bullet was developed in the Dum-Dum arsenal in India in 1897. It was a rifle bullet with an exposed lead tip. The bullets were never fully developed and discontinued in 1899. Yet, to hear the media tell it, Dum-Dum bullets are the preferred ammo choice by gang bangers everywhere.

Why a Hollow Point
In the self defense context, an expanding bullet is good for a variety of reasons.

Generally speaking, to stop a violent attacker with a handgun, the bullets need to either disable the central nervous system (brain, spine) or cause massive blood loss which fuels the brain and muscles. So called “head shots” are difficult targets, so most instructors train students to aim at the “center of mass”: the upper torso region housing the heart and lungs.

Without trying to sound crude, the bigger the holes you make in an attacker, the quicker he will bleed out and no longer threaten you or your loved ones. This is why many people prefer a .45 ACP to a 9mm. But, hollow points can make smaller cartridges more effective.

When a hollow point strikes flesh, it is designed to expand, opening up like a mushroom. As the bullet expands, it can cause more tissue damage, which in turn more quickly renders the attacker unable to assault you.

While precise measurements vary, under ideal conditions, a 9mm bullet can expand to nearly double its size (from .355” to nearly .7” in diameter.) Likewise, a .45 ACP bullet can expand to almost an inch in diameter.

Speed Kills
Just because a bullet is a hollow point is no guarantee that it will expand. In fact, a great many hollow points fail to expand when used in self defense shootings. Why is this?

There are several factors that affect hollow point expansion, but I’ve found the two most critical are the bullet design and bullet speed.

Bullet designs have come a long way during the past 30 years. Premium hollow points were revolutionized in the 1980’s by the Hydra-Shok bullet developed by Tom Burczynski and Federal Cartridge. Since then we have seen a great deal of advancement by Burczynski and his contemporaries, bringing to the market some very good designs like the Speer Gold Dot, Winchester T-Series, Federal HST, Remington Golden Sabre and others.

Current premium bullet designs take into account the latest information from the labs and the streets to ensure the bullets expand under a wide range of conditions.

No matter how good bullet designs are, though, all of them need a minimum amount of velocity to ensure proper expansion. This is especially important when a hollow point is plugged by the clothing worn by an attacker.

Generally, I have found that the narrower the bullet face, the more velocity needed to cause reliable expansion. In other words, a wide mouth .45 bullet is more likely to expand at lower velocities than a narrow 9mm. Narrow, low-velocity cartridges, like the .25 ACP and .32 ACP, rarely expand.

Some bullet designs are specifically designed for lower velocities experienced in short barrel firearms. For example, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr load designed specifically for snub nosed revolvers.

Designs like the Critical Defense ammo help prevent the hollow point cavity from plugging by having a flexible polymer in the cavity. When the polymer is compressed, the force pushes against the interior walls of the cavity, enhancing expansion.

Penetration is Good, Over-Penetration is Bad
Non-expanding bullets tend to go right through the body, exiting the bad guy and continuing in flight. Expanding bullets tend to stay in the body of the attacker.

Notice I say “tend to.” There are no absolutes, and I can show you cases where hollow points expanded, yet still exited the torso, and cases where a non-expanding bullet stayed in the attacker.

Bullets that over-penetrate, exiting the attacker, present several problems:

- they fail to achieve maximum energy and momentum transfer, and

- they present a danger to others in the area who may be struck by the still flying bullets.

No matter what theory of stopping power you subscribe to, bullets that stay in the body tend to create larger temporary and permanent crush cavities because the bullets transfer more/all energy and momentum. The more “work” the bullet does on the attacker’s body, the quicker the attacker will cease his violent assault.

The number of bystanders struck by over-penetrating bullets may be small. But, if your bullet kills a bystander, are you prepared to deal with the psychological, moral and legal consequences of that?

Hollow Points - Don’t Believe the Hype
Hollow point bullets are an integral piece of safety equipment when we talk about stopping a violent attacker. They are likely to stop a violent attack quicker than non-expanding bullets.
For some reason, a lot of myths surround hollow point bullets. Don’t buy into myths and wild guesses.
To stop an attacker with a handgun, you need to get multiple shots on target quickly. Quality hollow points will simply make those shots more effective, and that is a good thing.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #2

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Nice article, thanks for posting

On the topic of HP for self defense, do you have any Brand/Model recommendations/preferences?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good read. Thanks Cane.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Thanks Cane...great article. Would you mind if I sent a copy to the entire NJ legislature?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

good read i tend to buy whatever hollowpoint self defense ammo is available in 230grn 45acp loading is on the shelf at the time. since my colt series 70 eats everything from full wadcutters and empty cases to any hp round out there. my thinking is if it expands its just a bonus but its still 230grns of 45acp love if it doesnt for any goblin stupid enough to mess with me.

so i dont worry about as even the 230grn fmj is a proven round in 100 years of combat actions around the globe fighting the forces of evil.

there is more to terminal ballistics than science can ethically measure.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Excellent article Cane.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the read Cane. Great info. Until my .380 thread, I never thought about a HPs being a safer option because of the lower chance of over penetration. I had only focused on the benefits they have on the bad guy.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #8

Likes Given: 2

Very nice read, A lot of great info.
Thanks

Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7664 Times on 4606 Posts
Likes Given: 9576

Thank you very much. Very informational.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #10

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 245

In the Courtroom will-it make a case come-out one way or another??....I remember seeing on the news about a guy a year or so ago in Arizona who shot two dogs and then shot the dogs owner in a park when he was out jocking.....and if I recall his still in jail today....Anyway in court the prosacuiter said the AMMO was way over-kill......Does anybody else know or hear of yhis case???....just wandering.....Maybe two or tree years ago...not sure..........