Hand Loads for self defence
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hand Loads for self defence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hand Loads for self defence

Im pretty new around here so Ill ask forgiveness in advance if this topic has been over discussed.
In reading some threads it seemed to me that some were contending that hand loads should not be carried and or used for self defense. I make better ammo than can be bought. That is one of the reasons I do it. Have I misunderstood something?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #2

Liked 1803 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

A lot of people believe that a prosecuter would accuse them of making man killer rounds. I feel like any round is a man killer. I carry hand loads too. Anything I use for SD is carefully checked and each charge is weighed individually. It test any SD round for reliability. 100 rounds without a single failure of any kind before I trust it. I think ammunition shortages is a good enough reason to carry hand loads should anyone ask.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

There are two ways I think about it.

1. I am not taking a chance with a lawyer they are scum and snakes. They will do anything to win a case that is their job.

2. There is nothing I can do to increase performance of the round over a good SD round like Hornady XTP or TAP. Many of the factory loads today are running special blended powders that increase performance without raising pressures above specs. There is a lot of science put into todays performance ammunition and performance bullets.

There are millions of CCW that do as Rick does and create their own SD ammo. I will just stick to what I feel is best for me and mine. You should do the same.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm with tango. I carry a high quality factory loaded SD round in my carry weapon. I do not want to take the chance that some idiot lawyer could claim I created the ammo with a desire to kill someone. The ammo I carry can be purchased freely at a number of places by anyone of legal age.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

For daily carry, use factory ammo. It is not that expensive and you will not be shooting 3-400 rounds in SD a year. If you actually shoot 1 round in a lifetime, you will be the exception. The carry ammo should be rotated and shot up once every year or two depending on climate and carry conditions.

You can load factory duplication loads for practice. I they get accidentally mixed in with the actual factory stuff, there shouldnot be a huge issue.

Will a personal injury lawyer make an issue of the ammo in the event you do have to shoot? Of course. That's what they do. They will make an issue of EVERYTHING down to the color of your socks you chose to wear that day.

Prosecutors are a different breed, thankfully. Only the exceptionally scummy D/A will delve that deeply. A good shoot is a good shoot regardless of the ammo used.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #6

Sometimes we are left with no choice. I carry factory loads in my 40 , my 357 and in my 9 when I carry them. But I have a 380 that I carry when I have to be totally discrete. I have never seen a box of 380 SD ammo in my town. It's like the proverbial Unicorn. So many people are carrying it, it simply can not be found. Good defensive 45 is hard to come by here too. Heck, I didn't see a box of 22 for about 8 months after the election.

In case you are wondering all of my carry guns operate the same way. Draw and pull the trigger. And a bunch of them even work in the same holster. I do not get confused by carrying different weapons. The only one that is different is my 1911.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

I can see both sides. I dont think its worth getting rude or insulting each other over. This is a brotherhood. Isn't it?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #8

WALTERGA: Apparently you have not studied under Massad Ayoob. I have, and IMHO you are wrong. In a world of life and death, I hope my speelng is okay.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
Have you ever actually met a lawyer, personally? I have. Never met one yet that couldn't write a sentence. Can you write a sentence? The above quote would indicate that you can't.

There is no legal reason not to use reloads for s.d. Opinions to the contrary are just the babble of the ignorant proletariat...sophomoric babble.
As long as you are involved in a "good legal shoot" and your rounds aren't dipped in cyanide poison, have exploding tips, or are something engineered to be different from a normal bullet, one should be fine if litigation results.

Prosecuting and personal defense lawyers will do, and say anything to defend their clients, that's what they get paid for. I see no difference in using reloads with the same grain loads of factory loads for SD or using + p ammo, although factory ammo may be more reliable, in some cases. It's just personal preference.

Walter, why do you feel that you have to personally attack a forum member, as opposed to just stating your opinion? It was uncalled for sir.

I see nothing wrong with the statements and opinions Tango presented. He stated at the end that...

"There are millions of CCW that do as Rick does and create their own SD ammo. I will just stick to what I feel is best for me and mine. You should do the same."

I see no personal attack here, just a personal opinion.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 03-08-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: grammer

Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #10

Dear IGETEVEN,

I watched a rerun of myth busters last night. I am sorry to inform you, but they proved that you can indeed polish poop.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.