Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Hand loads for Carry Loads....? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/hand-loads-carry-loads-16942/)

BILLYBOB44 08-15-2009 02:12 AM

Hand loads for Carry Loads....?

It seems to me as prices go up/supply goes down, there are more and more OP's that talk of hand loads for SD carry? I hand load some very good ammo with Hornady XTP and Speer Gold Dot bullets that I reserve for hunting. I have NO doubts that they would save my life in any SD situation. THE problem with hand loads for SD is the legal system. I have been told by more than a few that if I use a hand load for a SD shooting, I had better be ready for legal problems. What are your thoughts??

dunerunner 08-15-2009 03:08 AM

I've heard that too. A guy at the gun shop I frequent mentioned that lawyers are starting to take those who shoot intruders, muggers, car jackers in self defense to court if they shot the perp with hand loads.

This is second hand, but he said they are trying to say that because you reloaded specifically self defense loads that you intended to shoot someone.

I thought it a pretty stupid preposition at the time but that is just one step from saying "You bought a hand gun, shotgun, etc. for the expressed purpose of shooting someone, therefore there was premeditation."

rifleman1 08-15-2009 03:45 AM

i was told the same thing by a lawyer your best bet is to carry the same ammo you would target shoot with you know it will still do damage i carry a .40 cal for self defense i target shoot with fiocchi ammo its 170 grain and i carry it in my gun at all times

canebrake 08-15-2009 03:50 AM

Find out what your local PD or County Sheriff carries and use the same.

When you use perfect logic there is no argument!

BILLYBOB44 08-15-2009 04:05 AM

Good point Cane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 144738)

Great info-as usual Cane. Sometimes the trick is to be able to find that ammo, as a God fearing Gun toting citizen. My Sheriff's Dept. will not let me "borrow" any of their loads. HA!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

IGETEVEN 08-15-2009 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 144738)

+2....perfect logic!

cpttango30 08-15-2009 04:11 AM

It shouldn't be any question. But this is the time in which anyone can sue anyone else. I know I can hand load ammo that is just as reliable and just as good or better than any factory load but, who to say your not over loading the ammo to it is sure to kill and just not wound.

I will stick to the store bought ammo for my HD, SD ammo.

Gunsmokeray 08-15-2009 10:05 AM

I carry my loads

My pistols are sprung for my loads. I have put a lot of effort into total reliability of my loads with my guns. I know what the recoil and muzzle blast and point of impact is going to be from thousand of repetitions.

Use what you practice with.

Thanks for listening,

Gunsmoke Ray

RL357Mag 08-15-2009 02:10 PM

This issue really shows the narrow-minded stupidity of lawyers, prosecutors, and the uninformed general public who will be tasked as a "jury of your peers" to judge your actions. Anyone carrying a gun for self-defense should be prepared to kill whoever they shoot - god forbid I ever pull my weapon in a defensive situation, it will be to kill, not to wound or mame. Everyone should understand and accept this fact, and if not for dishonest and deceptive lawyers, ammo would never be an issue. Focussing on the type of ammo, the type of gun, or your "intentions", is just a clever distraction to the real issue at hand - the right of self-defense - any other consideration is a distraction which allows an unscrupulous lawyer to accumulate "notches" on his "professional" resume`... the "legal" system in this country is a cruel game played by self-righteous a$$holes with misplaced "compassion", and the poor bastard that gets waylayed by the system is nothing more than a pawn in the game, and whose fate is determined by the scumbag with the better ability to "persuade" a jury. Fuc%ing lawyers...I hate 'em all!

BILLYBOB44 08-15-2009 09:29 PM

The Real World.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunsmokeray (Post 144835)
My pistols are sprung for my loads. I have put a lot of effort into total reliability of my loads with my guns. I know what the recoil and muzzle blast and point of impact is going to be from thousand of repetitions.

Use what you practice with.

Thanks for listening,

Gunsmoke Ray

My same thoughts for Hunting Loads. For self defense use of 3 to 7 yards my Factory Loads will do just fine. In the real world, the criminal/family of, will eat you up, through their attorney, in court, over the use of hand loads for self defense.:p:eek::p