Hand gun reloading question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hand gun reloading question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Hand gun reloading question

I've just started loading 9mm and .45. I'm using Accurate #7 powder with winchester magnum pistol primers. They fire okay but leave behind what looks like unignited powder.
What and I screwing up here or is this normal?

image-3467553413.jpg

image-112726350.jpg

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #2

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Why are you using magnum primers? That's your first problem. Neither caliber is a magnum caliber so basically you have the wrong primer. Don't quote me on this cause I might be wrong. But magnum primers burn slower, hotter and in some cases send burning shrapnel into the powder to help ignite it. Some of that residue could be from the primer. Switch to small pistol primer for 9mm and large pistol for 45. But no magnum. Not enough powder in either cartridge to need it

Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2841 Times on 1411 Posts
Likes Given: 294

First, I have not used AA#7 ( I Like AA#5 though)
But if it's like some other powders (2400 comes to mind), it sometimes takes a fair bit of pressure to eliminate unburned powder. It doesn't help that .45 acp is fairly mild mannered as far as pressure is concerned. Unless it gets crazy it's nothing to worry about. You could warm things up some and it may help.

Quote:
Why are you using magnum primers? That's your first problem. Neither caliber is a magnum caliber so basically you have the wrong primer.
These days, Magnum LP primers may be all that's available. While they are a bit of overkill, there really isn't much in the way of danger as long as typical cautions are observed, e.g. work up your new load accordingly. I believe that I read somewhere once that Mag Primers are about the equivalent of an additional tenth of a grain of powder (Rule of thumb/Wild Assed Guess kind of thing). Don't know if it's entirely correct, but it sounds somewhat plausible. Whatever the case, it's certainly enough to be accounted for.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-20-2013 at 07:40 PM.