Goofy question from bizy
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Goofy question from bizy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Goofy question from bizy

I just reloaded 5 20ga 2.5" cases with #2 shot and sealed the end with candle wax. I haven't test fired them yet. The reason I did is to see if they stayed in a bunch until reaching the target. I will be using a phone book to check the spread pattern. I know it is stupid, but I did it any way. Could I get your input? Have any of you tried this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #2

Liked 100 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm pretty sure the forces upon firing will overcome the fragile bond the candle wax has on the shot charge. I'd guess if you fire them at any kind of distance (over 15 yards) they'll perform just like any other shotshell.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

Never reloaded shotshells so no I never tried it and quite frankly I don't understand what you honestly think you'll gain over traditional methods of having tight patterens .

If you wanted a massive projectile that has maximum damage potential at close range you need one solid projectile , so use slugs and if you just want a pattern with minimal spread just use a shot gun with one of the easily available Extrafull Turkey chokes installed .

About the only thing I think you will succeed in doing firing those rounds you've made is a small mess of wax inside the barrel of your gun . Hope it doesn't get into the action and gum things up to the point you need to detrail strip your shotgun if using a pump or autoloader .

Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #4

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I wouldn't think that the wax will hold them together any different. But I am interested in the result. Please post your findings.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #5

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I imagine that if there was any kind of benefit of wax sealed loads, ammo mfrs would be doing it already. Also, I think there is a great possibility of wax getting inside your barrel and staying there. If done consistently, this might cause a bit of overheating. Of course, I am just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #6

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I don't think your going to see a performance gain. I doubt you will see any performance at all seeing as the wax will not give the resistance as the folded casing. I would put it in a lead sled and tie a string to the trigger and hide behind a big ass tree.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #7

Default Reloading with candle wax

The only plus to using candle wax to seal the end of a case is, It alows you to add a few extra pellets to the load and alows a partial crimping that makes a tapered end.

Oh, well, I was just curious... I'm one of those people that have to hit my thumb with a hammer to know it hurts...

Thanks for the response.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3372 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Wax is a poor choice for a sealant. On one hand it will run in or off when hot. On the other hand it will get brittle and break off when cold. I use a small glob of clear silicone sealer (mashed in with a finger tip) to keep the buffer in place on my buckshot loads.

In my younger years I experimented with a variety of things in shot shells, none of which I would try today.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Never heard of this. Wouldn't the wax build up in the barrel after awhile?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #10

Given the softness of the hardest wax, the hardness of the lightest shot colume and the speed of it's travel, I doubt the wax will build up very much.

Newest Threads