Good home defense round?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Good home defense round?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zombiehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 126
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Default Good home defense round?

Hi everyone, I went to range this past weekend and accidentally sent my home defense rounds down range. What a noob! Anyway, I had a magazine loaded with Hornady's critical defense rounds. Over a year a ago I had purchased them and would pocket them at the range. Not this time. I'm probably going to buy those again. But I'll take some advice.

__________________
zombiehunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,000
Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

I like the critical defense or Winchester pdx1.

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
oldpapps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Middle America,Missouri
Posts: 173
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Caliber, chambering, etc.

For a 12 Gage, most anything will work. I favor #7 1/2 shot.
30.06, I tend to try to stay away from FMJs.
.308/7.62s, same as 30.06s.
.223/5.56s, if it is a 100% feed/function, it will do.
.45ACPs, I like 200gr SWC lead. Doesn't have to do anything but hit.
.44 Mags, like the .45ACP, just needs to hit. Down side is most are in revolvers.
.40S&Ws, now we get to bullet decisions. Soft enough to expand, heavy enough to carry on in (penetration), light enough to have needed velocity. I like 155gr JHPs loaded to 1050 to 1100 FPS. Controllable and a double tap or two will do the needed job.
Any pistol round smaller than 40 cal is not for me.

I load all of mine. Many other don't. As I don't shop around, I don't know/care whats out there. I'm happy with my views.
What scares me is that you only had enough for one mag.

I feel that I haven't helped you in your quest. Sorry.

__________________

Enjoy,

OSOK

oldpapps is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
Hi everyone, I went to range this past weekend and accidentally sent my home defense rounds down range. What a noob! Anyway, I had a magazine loaded with Hornady's critical defense rounds. Over a year a ago I had purchased them and would pocket them at the range. Not this time. I'm probably going to buy those again. But I'll take some advice.
Hi Zombiehunter. Using today's modern, state-of-the-art, common self defense ammo, the 9MM, 357 Sig, 40S&W, and 45ACP all perform about equally well as they're all loaded to FBI handgun protocols. There's not a dimes worth of difference between them. So take your pick. I use the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my Ruger SR40C. But don't get to caught up with the ammo thing. Your handgun skills (practical, tactical, and marksmanship) and presence of mind is what will save your buns, not a particular bullet or caliber. And your practice needs to include much more than target practice. You need to practice defensive drills, over, and over, and over. A lot of public ranges may not allow this kind of practice. Find a place where you can.

Don <><

__________________

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.


Last edited by genesis; 09-18-2012 at 05:34 PM.
genesis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I think we need a little more information. What type and caliber weapon are you using?

For me personally I use Federal HSTs if it’s a semi auto and Speer Gold Dots for my revolvers. 12 ga gets loaded with 2 ¾” 00 buckshot, I prefer Federal LE loads or you can get their flight control wad at Dick’s or Wal Mart. It is also available in a reduced recoil.

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zombiehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 126
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire
I think we need a little more information. What type and caliber weapon are you using?

For me personally I use Federal HSTs if it&rsquo;s a semi auto and Speer Gold Dots for my revolvers. 12 ga gets loaded with 2 ¾&rdquo; 00 buckshot, I prefer Federal LE loads or you can get their flight control wad at Dick&rsquo;s or Wal Mart. It is also available in a reduced recoil.
It's a SIG PRO sp2022 in a 9mm
__________________
zombiehunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zombiehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 126
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps
Caliber, chambering, etc.

For a 12 Gage, most anything will work. I favor #7 1/2 shot.
30.06, I tend to try to stay away from FMJs.
.308/7.62s, same as 30.06s.
.223/5.56s, if it is a 100% feed/function, it will do.
.45ACPs, I like 200gr SWC lead. Doesn't have to do anything but hit.
.44 Mags, like the .45ACP, just needs to hit. Down side is most are in revolvers.
.40S&Ws, now we get to bullet decisions. Soft enough to expand, heavy enough to carry on in (penetration), light enough to have needed velocity. I like 155gr JHPs loaded to 1050 to 1100 FPS. Controllable and a double tap or two will do the needed job.
Any pistol round smaller than 40 cal is not for me.

I load all of mine. Many other don't. As I don't shop around, I don't know/care whats out there. I'm happy with my views.
What scares me is that you only had enough for one mag.

I feel that I haven't helped you in your quest. Sorry.
There were 15 rounds in that magazine and two other 15 round magazines full of jacketed rounds. If that wasn't enough then It'd be a job for the AR or the 12 gauge.
__________________
zombiehunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Eturnsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,211
Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

Is it still possible to get Federal HSTs? I havent seen them in a long time.

__________________

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Eturnsdale is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zombiehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 126
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale
Is it still possible to get Federal HSTs? I havent seen them in a long time.
Hydra shock?
__________________
zombiehunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Is it still possible to get Federal HSTs? I havent seen them in a long time.
Yes you can but you have to look around and jump on them when you see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
Hydra shock?
No, the HST is not the same has the hydrashock.

See here.....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/spittinfires-ammo-testing-45acp-38-special-sd-loads-budget-hps-21983/
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.357 Home Defense Round Kamarathin Revolver Handguns 14 07-17-2012 07:36 AM
Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense????? CAMCHAMPION1988 Ammunition & Reloading 72 10-24-2011 01:59 AM
Good 38 Special self defense round spittinfire Revolver Handguns 42 07-13-2011 12:15 AM
10 round mag for Home Defense omegaflame 1911 Forum 9 08-16-2010 02:38 AM
Good self defense round / 45 ACP Tom the roofer Semi-Auto Handguns 8 02-26-2008 11:53 PM