Good home defense load - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Good home defense load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6009 Times on 3147 Posts
Likes Given: 431

The reason its called a wadcutter is they cut perfect holes in paper like someone was using a hole punch. Round nosed pistol bullets tear paper making it hard to score targets in competition.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
The reason its called a wadcutter is they cut perfect holes in paper like someone was using a hole punch. Round nosed pistol bullets tear paper making it hard to score targets in competition.
That makes sence

Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #23

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I can tell you that I wouldn't rely on a wadcutter for a defensive round. I have Powerball in my 1911 as a backup, but for HD I always prefer a shotgun. Mine is loaded with #5 high brass bird shot followed by one of the new Remington HD rounds.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Ref: wadcutter ammo. If you will look at the Hatcher Theory of Relative Stopping Power (link below) you will see that the wadcutter profile scores very well against the more pointed projectiles. Keep in mind that this is an older chart that doesn't take today's more aggressive hollow-point designs into account. I would still tend to believe that initial energy transfer would still be higher with the wadcutter, but the newer hollow points may make up for that with better expansion once inside.

http://www.abaris.net/info/ballistics/hatcher-table.htm

One of the most devastating rounds I ever saw tested was a hand load of a .357 magnum using a reversed 158 grain hollow base wadcutter, a gas check, CCI 550 primer and a mid-range dose of 2400 powder. You could stash a baseball in the wound channel. The only problem was that it was very hard on the gun. Lead fouling was unbelievable.

Another problem with it today would be trying to defend it from the witness stand. With a wound channel that big no jury is ever going to believe you loaded it so it wouldn't over-penetrate.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Yep. You can concoct some nasty stuff. But to stay relatively "safe" on a witness stand, you are much better off if you used factory ammo, with the best case being the ammo the local police department uses. It makes it pretty difficult for an attorney to characterize the ammo as abusive or extreme if the cops are using it.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #26

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Between the utter brilliances of putting ball ammo thru a semi-auto vs. wadcutters and home defense with birdshot, as well as the fictitious court-cases that no-one can ever cite where mean-spirited ammo was used to defend oneself all the way to a prison sentence, I am amazed by the posts here.

bullet-types.jpg  

Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Between the utter brilliances of putting ball ammo thru a semi-auto vs. wadcutters and home defense with birdshot, as well as the fictitious court-cases that no-one can ever cite where mean-spirited ammo was used to defend oneself all the way to a prison sentence, I am amazed by the posts here.
Quote:
Between the utter brilliances of putting ball ammo thru a semi-auto
Why not? That's what the military uses, and that's what many manufacturers tell you to use during the break-in period.

Now I'll address the court case part having been involved in more than my share of them over the years.

A court case has nothing to do with right or wrong, and actually very little to do with law. A court case is all about which lawyer is a better story teller. If the defense makes the jury feel sorry for their client, the client walks, especially in a circumstantial case. If the prosecution makes the jury hate the client by portraying the client as some bloodthirsty killer, the client does time.

As for citing cases about bullets on trial, a half dozen come to mind right off the bat. Unfortunately, even though the cases are public record I'm not sure how HIPAA would feel about me naming names. I'll leave you with this instead.

Go down to your local gun store and try to buy any one of these rounds: armor piercing, Teflon coated, and Black Talon. The first two are banned for civilian use because of their alleged ability to penetrate a ballistic vest. They're known as cop killers. The AIDS hysteria was the reason the third was banned. The sharp edges were cutting surgeons and causing possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens. In Florida mere possession of any of these rounds is a criminal offense.