Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Good home defense load (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/good-home-defense-load-68131/)

johnbrowning 07-13-2012 05:20 AM

Good home defense load

My understanding is not to have a great deal of penetration in a bullet. That bullets should enter bad guys and make a big hole and a bigger cavity in his gut. Sooo my question is if I shoot blue meanies with my colt and have it loaded with Sellier and Belloit 38 special wad cutters which have a tendency to keyhole would this be a superior home defense load? JMB

mountainman13 07-13-2012 11:07 AM

I'm not familiar with those rounds. At a minimum I want hollow points for hd. Being in an apartment and knowing exactly how well a 9mm penetrates in this building I actually want to get frangible rounds for my new glock 20. Until then I actually picked up a. 25 for around the house. If that's any help

303tom 07-13-2012 12:03 PM

Nine .22 LR HP Stingers out of my H&R 922................

locutus 07-13-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbrowning (Post 868220)
My understanding is not to have a great deal of penetration in a bullet. That bullets should enter bad guys and make a big hole and a bigger cavity in his gut. Sooo my question is if I shoot blue meanies with my colt and have it loaded with Sellier and Belloit 38 special wad cutters which have a tendency to keyhole would this be a superior home defense load? JMB

There are thousands of old experienced detectives out there that still use wadcutters. Why? Because they work!:D

johnbrowning 07-14-2012 04:34 PM

home defence

The fact that those particular rounds keyhole, is that good or bad?

Doc3402 07-14-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbrowning (Post 868220)

In combat or defensive shooting shot placement is three dimensional. One of those dimensions is getting the projectile deep enough to hit vital organs. I would not depend on any off the wall loads until I either saw some penetration testing from a reliable source or did my own.

If you don't mind, let me make a suggestion. If you are comfortable with it call or visit your local cop shop and see what they carry. Explain your concerns and see what they say. If it's a larger department they probably have an approved ammo list for their officer's off duty weapons. Once you have the information choose an equal or slightly less potent round. It's not considered a smart thing to carry something much more potent than the LEO's in your area carry. Lawyers will rip you a new one over that.

Another tip. You should plan your defense before you ever have a need for it. Try to figure out shooting positions that are least likely to affect others. An intruder isn't always going to cooperate, but making a plan now will help you adapt later.

willfully armed 07-14-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom (Post 868298)
Nine .22 LR HP Stingers out of my H&R 922................

I hope that's a joke

willfully armed 07-14-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbrowning (Post 869433)

On soft tissue, its not a bad thing.

mes227 07-15-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrowning

On soft tissue, its not a bad thing.
Key-holing reduces accuracy but can substantially increase stopping power by creating a much larger wound cavity. This was demonstrated by the early M-16s in Vietnam. The twist rate of 1:12 was too slow to give ballistic stability, so those early rifles had marginal mid-range accuracy but where incredibly effective at closer range. When the design was changed to a faster twist the M-16 became a much more accurate rifle but there was a noticeable decrease in one-shot stopping power.

That said, not all wadcutters keyhole in all handguns. It depends on the caliber, bullet weight, load or velocity, barrel length and rifling twist rate. It's easy enough to test at the range, though. This will tell you if the round keyholes in flight, but not the performance at impact.

But given the assortment of high performance, essentially guaranteed high-expansion SD ammo on the market I'd go that direction rather than leave the performance to the vagarities of a round that may - or may not - keyhole at the critical moment (and with the attacker's particular clothing).

tomingreeneco 07-15-2012 03:59 AM

For HD I use a 12 gauge double barrel coach gun loaded with 00 buck shot.