Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Good .223 For Range Shooting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/good-223-range-shooting-52436/)

DerHund15 11-26-2011 05:53 AM

Good .223 For Range Shooting?

I'm just curious as to what you guys think is the "best" brand of .223 for shooting on the range out to mid-range. I'm just looking for input, thanks.

Sonic82 11-26-2011 10:57 AM

Firearm or ammo?:confused:

DerHund15 11-26-2011 07:21 PM

I'm talking about ammo.

Sonic82 11-27-2011 03:36 AM

and twist?

Axxe55 11-27-2011 04:06 AM

okay, i'll jump in. what kind of rifle or firearm are you using? because this will make a big difference in what type of accuracy to expect. what are you considering mid range? there is more information needed than just asking what ammo to be able to give some type of coherent answer to your question. just saying.:D

DerHund15 11-27-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
okay, i'll jump in. what kind of rifle or firearm are you using? because this will make a big difference in what type of accuracy to expect. what are you considering mid range? there is more information needed than just asking what ammo to be able to give some type of coherent answer to your question. just saying.:D

Looking back on that, that was an awful post. Sorry about that haha. It's a Savage Axis Stainless (I know, big spender) and the twist is 1 in 9". The range I believe would probably be under 500 yards. Again, sorry about that bad post. :)

DerHund15 11-27-2011 07:40 AM

Goodness, I don't know how to type tonight. It'll be 200 yards and less.

humboldtshooter 11-27-2011 07:53 AM

I have a howa 1500 .223 myself and I shoot the bulk federal ammo. If its just practice/target shooting, you don't need to go with anything expensive and federal has a good reputation for being clean and accurate. Their american eagle stuff is cost effective and accurate aswell. I'm sure there will be a few other options from other members aswell.

Axxe55 11-27-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerHund15 (Post 636841)
Looking back on that, that was an awful post. Sorry about that haha. It's a Savage Axis Stainless (I know, big spender) and the twist is 1 in 9". The range I believe would probably be under 500 yards. Again, sorry about that bad post. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerHund15 (Post 636846)
Goodness, I don't know how to type tonight. It'll be 200 yards and less.

first off, nothing wrong with your choice of rifle, the Savage Axis is a very accurate rifle out of the box. 200 yards should be no problem for that rifle and will probably go further accurately too. now the next question is, would you be planning to reload, now or in the future? because if not, then you will be limited to what you can buy. with the barrel twist and length, i would guess, ammo loaded in about the 70gr or less would probably be best. now if you reload, you have so many more options and can fine tune the ammo to the rifle.

Axxe55 11-27-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humboldtshooter (Post 636851)
I have a howa 1500 .223 myself and I shoot the bulk federal ammo. If its just practice/target shooting, you don't need to go with anything expensive and federal has a good reputation for being clean and accurate. Their american eagle stuff is cost effective and accurate aswell. I'm sure there will be a few other options from other members aswell.

now your choice of ammo may work very well for you in your rifle, may or may not work well in his. i have seen the same brand and model of rifles like very different ammo selection. so what works in one rifle accurately, may give poor performance in another.