Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Going to get into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I don't bother worrying about the depth of seated primers, if they are a little deep that's fine as far as I'm concerned, you just want to make sure not to have a "high primer" one that sticks out of the case slightly, that is not good. If you are going to use that same powder with your next loads then leaving it in there for a short time should be fine, however I prefer to empty my powder each time simply because I feel it is best stored in the powder can as far as safe keeping from moisture and what not goes. I wouldn't worry about the case length being long on the pistol brass by a few thou as long as you have your oal dialed in that is the most important legth, that is what could effect the pressures, having a few thou of extra brass alongside the seated bullet shouldn't effect the saftey of firing it, you are right, most folks don't bother trimming pistol and even rifle brass as long as it is a straight sided case.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #52

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
Got my Lee Press in today. Got home from work and got it mounted on my bench. Got all 4 dies loaded and started by depriming the rounds that I had previously tumbled. Ended up with primers being spit out of the press and going everywhere.

Is there some kind of catcher that is supposed to mount on the threaded hole in the front of the press?
You need to have the arm that holder the primer when you are putting them in to have the used ones fall down where they should

Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraj View Post
You need to have the arm that holder the primer when you are putting them in to have the used ones fall down where they should
I finally figured that out the other day. I've got about 850 rounds deprimed and sized at this point. I then didn't realize that when they go in the press, they don't have a way to get out. I had to take the press off my bench and drill a 1" hole and put an akro bin under the hole. With the way it is designed a person would have to undo the press every 500 rounds or so to clean out the primers.

I'm thinking about fabricating a shield for the right side of the press to redirect the primers that bounce and miss the hole in the press.