Going to get into reloading - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Going to get into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Just make sure you ordered the Lee Universal set of 11 not the Lee Autoprime Tool set of 11, the Autoprime set ONLY works with the priming tool, not even Lee presses, the universal set works in everything but the Lee Autoprime. Yes, as far as shellholders go I would stick with the RCBS or other such tool which uses the same holder as the presses. The RCBS is a little dinking around to change the shellholders out or switch from large to small primers, but as a whole it isn't anything major once you figure out how to do it.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #42
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8140 Times on 4699 Posts
Likes Given: 10510

Why the Hell would Lee do that? That just seems stupid to me. Makes me glad I have an RCBS hand primer. I do think I will end up getting a second one though so I have one set up for large primers and one for small.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #43

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I don't know it is quite stupid.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #44

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Can I ask here how horniday loading equipment compares to Dillion? Quality, durability, and warranty. Who takes the cake?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
In reading alot of old threads I see that some people deprime before cleaning, is this a matter of preference because the Lyman book has me cleaning and then depriming?
I've only been reloading for about six months now so I'm still pretty green and learning myself. Personally I tumble with corncob media, lube and de-prime, clean the primer pocket, then tumble again to get all the lube off of my cases. My very first batch I accidentally contaminated my primers and powder with lube so I had multiple rounds that wouldn't fire. I learned my lesson and now take a little more time in my process, but I haven't had one round that failed to fire since....... Knock on wood

Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
Can I ask here how horniday loading equipment compares to Dillion? Quality, durability, and warranty. Who takes the cake?
If I were you I would look at RCBS, I know the customer service from them is great. I called them one day because I had damaged my swager and they sent me out some parts free of charge. They also sent me some parts for my re-sizing die free of charge too. I might pay a little more, but because of their customer service they won a loyal customer. This is just my personal opinion and experience though.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #47

I like Dillon but have no experience with Hornady reloading equip. Dillon has unrivaled success with their "No BS Warrantee".

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #48

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I just figured since horniday make such wonderful factory loads the reloading equipment would be decent. Idk a lot about this stuff yet, but definitely ready to learn

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I just figured since horniday make such wonderful factory loads the reloading equipment would be decent. Idk a lot about this stuff yet, but definitely ready to learn
Given that almost all of the competition has excellent customer service and generous warranty policies I am sure that Hornady will be comparable. They can't afford not to.

Quote:

Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Got my Lee Press in today. Got home from work and got it mounted on my bench. Got all 4 dies loaded and started by depriming the rounds that I had previously tumbled. Ended up with primers being spit out of the press and going everywhere.

Is there some kind of catcher that is supposed to mount on the threaded hole in the front of the press?

Cleaned out the primer pockets and got my Lee hand primer put together and hand primed all of the cases. Kind of tricky to get the pressure right. Some I barely seated flush and others went deep at about .007". I was aiming for .004". I looked at the priming system that came with the press but it seems a little in the way. I might pick-up the Lee primer feeder to try out. They're not expensive.

Went to get the powder scale zeroed and got the powder dispenser setup. I am loading .45ACP with Bullseye and 185 grain Berry's bullets. Got in my Lyman's reloading book and the range is between 3.5 and 5.2 grains. I setup the disk to drop 4.3 grains. Measured the first 20 drops and they were all very consistant at 4.2-4.4 grains. After that I went to measuring every 5th load. I left the little bit of powder that was in the dispenser on the press when I got done. Is that going to cause a problem? I don't see how to get the powder out short of taking it apart and pouring it out.

Next I went to seat my first bullet. Didn't back out the adjuster and promptly seated my first bullet .125" too deep. I think I'm going to put at one on the shelf to remind myself to slow down and sneak up on it. Got my OAL right to 1.135". Saw a little variance over the course of 50 rounds. What do most of you consider acceptable for +\-. I've read .005" is an acceptable tolerance.

After that I got the crimping die setup. I followed the direction and adjusted for a light crimp. The round gives a little resistance going into the die and then slides right in no problem. What am I really looking for as far as the crimp goes?

I might see about getting out and shooting these tomorrow. I really want to know if I'm on the right track and what needs to be adjusted. Does anybody feel like I am not doing something right based on my write up. I didn't trim my cases because I don't have a trimmer. The Lyman book said .888" but the blueprint shows .898" and mine were all right in the .891-.893" range. I've read that trimming pistol brass is not a necessary step.

Last edited by aandabooks; 01-05-2013 at 03:29 AM.