Going to get into reloading - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Going to get into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I avoid stores such as Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops like the plague, their prices are out of line. I buy most all my components at gun shows for much more reasonable prices and I have a local gun shop which deals in components and equipment mainly RCBS and they don't stock a lot but what they don't stock they will gladly order for you, their prices are decent as well. One thing to watch out for is ordering primers and powder online, it is a hazardous material and they will charge you extra shipping rates for this so it's not a good idea unless you have a large order to spread out the shipping cost, this is why I mainly use gun shows. There is a Scheels store a couple hours from me where some guys go for components, they are supposedly better price than Gander and BPS.

The suggestion of buying used equipment is pretty good, usually easy to find decent prices on that stuff online or at the gun show, I have gotten most of my dies used from friends or gun shows, when I have bought rifle dies I buy Lee rgb dies, they are the cheapest and function just as well as the most expensive sets, they just aren't as pretty. For pistol I have RCBS carbide dies and Hornady Titanium Nitrides, all of which I got from my mother in law after my father in law passed away.

I started out with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit, I got it for Christmas, it came with the press, a powder measure, a scale, case lube and pad, various small hand tools, and the RCBS priming tool as well as the Speer reloading manual. I added the Forester case trimmer as that is the one I was familiar with using from my buddy's setup. I bought a set of Lee shell holders from Midway. I was given a cheap Frankfurt Arsenal digital scale as well as a FA tumbler and separator from my father in law. I don't mind the single stage press, there isn't much setup and tear down, just inserting and removing the dies. I will probably add a 2nd single stage press in the future so I can have one for resizing/depriming and the other set up for bullet seating at the same time, just to speed things up.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #32

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

The OP must have inspired me because I decided to get into this reloading business. My choice was the RCBS supreme master kit. No buyers remorse after unboxing, however I will need a few more items before I can load .223. Here are the parts that I believe I may still need. Please give your opinions on the brand/personal preference. My end use is varmint hunting, not necessarily high volume shooting. I purchased 55gr vmax bullets and cci small rifle magnum primers. 16" ar15, 1 in 7 twist.

1. Deburring/ chamfering tool

2. Case trimmer

3. Dies

4. Case cleaning solutions

It's not hijacking if it helps the OP... Right?

image-3713145280.jpg  

Last edited by CamoToe1; 01-01-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #33

My kit came with a hand tool for deburring/chamfering, I like the Forrester case trimmer simply because it is what I'm used to, if I were to buy 223 dies I would get the cheapest lee dies I could find, they work as well as any other brand. I don't really mess with case cleaning solution.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #34

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1 View Post
The OP must have inspired me because I decided to get into this reloading business. My choice was the RCBS supreme master kit. No buyers remorse after unboxing, however I will need a few more items before I can load .223. Here are the parts that I believe I may still need. Please give your opinions on the brand/personal preference. My end use is varmint hunting, not necessarily high volume shooting. I purchased 55gr vmax bullets and cci small rifle magnum primers. 16" ar15, 1 in 7 twist.

2. Case trimmer

3. Dies

Thats the same kit I bought. I have only ran 50 rounds through mine but its defenitly gonna be worth the price I paid for it.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #35

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

For a media separator, I used stuff that I had around the house. I took a few 5 gallon buckets (from work for free) some quarter inch hail screen, and some screws. The first bucket is left intact and used to catch the media. The second bucket is cut about the 2.5 gallon mark. I then put screws into the side about an inch above the cut to support the hail screen that I cut to fit. I have used this for 9mm and up, and it works good. The best part is I have this for nothing more than my labor, and my wife is not yelling that I stole crap from the kitchen.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I haven't got a case trimmer yet. I'll need to do some research but I'm starting with pistol so I won't need one right away. I saw the Frankford Arsenal media seperator somewhere for $35 so I'll probably pick one of those up. I realized I am missing a primer tray so that is on the to buy list. I'm sure there are going to be a ton of accessories but I want to make sure I ave the minimums covered to get started.

I was looking at different hand primers on Midway USA and some of those might be convenient for priming away from the reloading bench. It will wait until after I get started though.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #37
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I haven't got a case trimmer yet. I'll need to do some research but I'm starting with pistol so I won't need one right away. I saw the Frankford Arsenal media seperator somewhere for $35 so I'll probably pick one of those up. I realized I am missing a primer tray so that is on the to buy list. I'm sure there are going to be a ton of accessories but I want to make sure I ave the minimums covered to get started.

I was looking at different hand primers on Midway USA and some of those might be convenient for priming away from the reloading bench. It will wait until after I get started though.
I consider the media separator of some sort to be almost essential. Sifting out the media is tedious, the tumbler cages are much, much more efficient and do a better job without question. The priming tool is absolutely one of the better investments. You can prime your night away watching TV. Same thing with the case trimmer. Some day I would like to have several trimmers, one set up for each of the cartridges I shoot the most of and then one for the small batches that can be reset.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #38

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1

2. Case trimmer

3. Dies

From your help and a little research this is what I chose:

1. Emailed RCBS about the lack of deburring tool in my kit(picture of it on box, but wasn't included) We'll see how that goes.

2. Going with the Lee hand trimmer $15.00. It can be chucked up in a drill or modified for use on the RCBS case prep station.

3. Lee Dies or RCBS, sounds like they all do the job. $35-45.00

4. Probably go with a cheaper tumbler and strainer for now. $50.00

Last edited by CamoToe1; 01-02-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1 View Post
From your help and a little research this is what I chose:

1. Emailed RCBS about the lack of deburring tool in my kit(picture I it on box, but want included) We'll see how that goes.

2. Going with the Lee hand trimmer $15.00. It can be chucked up in a drill or modified for use on the RCBS case prep station.

3. Lee Dies or RCBS, sounds like they all do the job. $35-45.00

4. Probably go with a cheaper tumbler and strainer for now. $50.00
Check out these dies I have them in many rifle calibers, cant beat them for price.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/554943/lee-rgb-2-die-set-223-remington
They don't have shell holders included but I bought this to cover my needs
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786187/lee-universal-shellholders-package-of-11
These shell holders only work with the presses not the Lee hand prime tool, for some reason those take their own shell holder, however they do work in the rcbs hand prime tool.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Good to know about the Lee shellholders fitting in the RCBS hand primer. I ordered the 11 set with my press. I could get the RCBS and not have to buy another set.