Going to get into reloading - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Going to get into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 336 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Thanks Txhillbilly. That wa exactly the info I've been searching for. I've been getting the idea to just buy the press and put the accessories together out of better stuff than what is in the Lee kit. I just don't like to double buy the same items because I went cheap the first time around.

You said a good beam scale. How about a quality digital for easier use?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8716 Times on 5039 Posts
Likes Given: 11330

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Thanks Txhillbilly. That wa exactly the info I've been searching for. I've been getting the idea to just buy the press and put the accessories together out of better stuff than what is in the Lee kit. I just don't like to double buy the same items because I went cheap the first time around.

You said a good beam scale. How about a quality digital for easier use?
Get the beam first. Digital scales are not as reliable IMO, but if ou have a beam you can double-check the digital. It would also be wise to have a set of weights so you can calibrate the scale.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #13

Digital scales are just fine. I've used one since I started and everything has been safe.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I started with a hornady digital. 30 bucks I think. Worked well for what it was. Had to re zero and calibrate often. Then I bought a dillon eliminator beam scale and a dillon d'terminater electronic. Picked the beam up off of eBay for 50 and payed 120 for the electronic. The electronic dillon is money every time but once I started using the beam scale I fell in love with it. It's old school and nats ass every time. I use the beam scale 90% of the time. Only draw back is that it's harder to dial in different charges. For example throwing 27gr for 223 then changing the press over to 45 and only throwing 5.6. It's hard to tell where you are when dropping it on the beam scale. With the electronic you can see exactly where you are faster so you can confidently turn your adjustment knob on your powder throw to get closer.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I may pick up the check weights later, but for now, I am using US coins. The nickel is 5 grams, or 77.16 grains. I have a list at my bench of what each coin weighs to check with. It is a corner that I have cut, but I think I am ok as I have two balance scales, and they both show the same weights on the coins.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
I may pick up the check weights later, but for now, I am using US coins. The nickel is 5 grams, or 77.16 grains. I have a list at my bench of what each coin weighs to check with. It is a corner that I have cut, but I think I am ok as I have two balance scales, and they both show the same weights on the coins.
I guess coins will work, but it is worth the $25-$35 for a proper set of calibrated weights. When you are concerned about a tenth of a grain using a nickel to calibrate doesn't really cut it IMO. You probably aren't going to be able to spot a discrepancy in accuracy with a nickel. Of course that's just my two cents worth of opinion.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Went looking for reloading equipment locally today. Struckout on presses but picked up a tumbler, media and small pistol primers, Bullseye powder and some .45 bullets. Bought a Lyman Reloading Handbook. Got home and ordered a Lee Turret press, 4 piece die set and some other odds and ends. Figured that the shipping was about the same as sales tax so that is a wash.

In reading the Lyman book, I bought the wrong primer size. The small pistol primers will have to wait for when I get setup for 9mm.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Went looking for reloading equipment locally today. Struckout on presses but picked up a tumbler, media and small pistol primers, Bullseye powder and some .45 bullets. Bought a Lyman Reloading Handbook. Got home and ordered a Lee Turret press, 4 piece die set and some other odds and ends. Figured that the shipping was about the same as sales tax so that is a wash.

In reading the Lyman book, I bought the wrong primer size. The small pistol primers will have to wait for when I get setup for 9mm.
If the stores around you are like the ones around here you will find that you need to buy most things online or at gun shows (mainly only bullets, powder and primers at the gun shows though). The only store that has much is Imbert and Smithers an hour drive away, and they have a decent selection of Dillon stuff, but you have to call ahead. Sometimes even then they either say they have something that they don't or they have something they say they don't.

Hang on to the primers, they will come in handy.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If the stores around you are like the ones around here you will find that you need to buy most things online or at gun shows (mainly only bullets, powder and primers at the gun shows though). The only store that has much is Imbert and Smithers an hour drive away, and they have a decent selection of Dillon stuff, but you have to call ahead. Sometimes even then they either say they have something that they don't or they have something they say they don't.

Hang on to the primers, they will come in handy.
Same way around me. The one LGS had some decent prices on primers/powder. The only other option is Bass Pro. Looking at the prices I might as well buy factory. I've talked to other reloaders in my area and there is a place in Pekin, Il but to get the best prices they all buy by the 1000.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Btw, what is the take on reloading with lead bullets? I see there is an extra step listed in the book but what about the barrel?

The Lyman book lists them and the one LGS I was in carries 500 packs in a couple calibers that I don't yet shoot but the are considerably cheaper. They had prices like $25-27 per 500.