Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Going to get into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 254 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Going to get into reloading

Hello All,

Let me start by saying that I have read just about everything on this site for reloading and started a thread last year thinking I was going to get started then. I of course still have a couple question before committing cash to this new hobby.

1. Decided on a minimum of the Lee 4 hole Turret Press with Auto Index. Not really interested in single stage as it seems like alot of setup and teardown. Gander has just the press on sale for $89.99 or $139 for the kit. How much in the kit is junk and will have to be replaced anyway? Basically, is the kit worth the $50 extra?

2. Is there another Turret Press in this price range that you would recommend over the Lee?

3. What is the minimum more that I'm going to need to spend to get started?

4. What extras do you consider the absolute essentials to make reloading easier and faster?

5. The calibers I'm looking to start with are 9mm, .45ACP and .223. The only one that I am seeing a considerable cost savings over factory ammo is the .45ACP. Am I wrong in this? The others I would be doing for the use of brass that I have been stockpiling.

I'm sure there will be more questions as I work towards getting the machine setup. Thanks in advance for eveyone's input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7611 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Well- the minimum to get started- copy of the ABCs of Reloading, and a good load book. You will need dies and a set of shell holders, scales, powder, primers, bullets. A powder measure CAN be lived without- weighing every charge- but they are cheap enough. Eventually you will want a tumbler to clean cases, a case trimmer for bottle necked rounds, primer pocket cleaner, and a bullet puller for those WHOOPS moments.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Depends on whether your loading pistol or rifle for extra things to make it easier. Pistol loading basically all you need are components, load book, factory round to compare overall length and a bullet puller for uh oh's.
Rifle cases are a different beast. You'll def need a set of calipers, load book, components, lee cutter and lock stud(cheapest route for trimming), a trim length gauge and shell holder( sold together from lee), chamfer and deburring tool and a primer pocket cleaner. Also if your brass is crimped(military) you'll need to consider a rcbs swage die or a primer pocket reamer. I've chucked a reamer up in a cordless drill before with decent results till I purchased the swage die. Dillon makes a swage tool also. I'll prolly spring for one someday when I have an extra hundred. I can't help out on the press side. I run a dillon 550b and two rock chuckers. 9, 40, 45 and 223 in the dillon and 308, 30-06 and 300 win mag in the rock chuckers.
Money saved really depends on the caliber as you mentioned the 45. I really don't save a ton on 9mm and the 223 price is the same as buying steal cases except you know for a fact your hand load ammo is far more superior and accurate.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Hello All,

Let me start by saying that I have read just about everything on this site for reloading and started a thread last year thinking I was going to get started then. I of course still have a couple question before committing cash to this new hobby.

1. Decided on a minimum of the Lee 4 hole Turret Press with Auto Index. Not really interested in single stage as it seems like alot of setup and teardown. Gander has just the press on sale for $89.99 or $139 for the kit. How much in the kit is junk and will have to be replaced anyway? Basically, is the kit worth the $50 extra?
I have the Lee Classic Turret. It works great. If I were to replace it, It would be with a Dillon progressive. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but because I needed the upgrade in volume.
The scale will work, but it's clunky and sort of a pain to use.
Lee Powder measures are not especially brilliant. They work, but they are not without their shortcomings.

Overall, Lee equipment does the job for a low price. That low price means that not everything is perfect.
2. Is there another Turret Press in this price range that you would recommend over the Lee?
Not really.
You want more press? Spend more money.

3. What is the minimum more that I'm going to need to spend to get started?
$60, see question 4.
4. What extras do you consider the absolute essentials to make reloading easier and faster?
A decent caliper. ($25 to $35)
Some more loading data. I recommend Lyman 49th or other appropriate data. ($25+)

Bullet puller. ($12 to $20)
Loading blocks might be nice. ($4 to $8 maybe less if your are handy with a drill press)
5. The calibers I'm looking to start with are 9mm, .45ACP and .223. The only one that I am seeing a considerable cost savings over factory ammo is the .45ACP. Am I wrong in this? The others I would be doing for the use of brass that I have been stockpiling.
Yes & no.
I reload 9 mm & .223 (& .38/357, .380, .40 & 45) as well. If you insist on expensive bullets and buy all your consumables at expensive retailers, you'll have a problem saving much. I shoot a lot of cast and pick up range brass. With bulk purchasing you can save even more. Much really depends on your needs. Bear in mind that you have to compare decent quality reloads to decent quality factory ammo. If you load screaming awesome 9 mm Hornady XTP loads or Kick ass Sierra match loads in .223, they need to be compared to similar commercial loads, not the El Cheapo Russian crap. You will see savings when comparing apples to apples.
I'm sure there will be more questions as I work towards getting the machine setup. Thanks in advance for eveyone's input.
For what it is, the Lee kit is ok. I have replaced the scale & the Powder measure with Redding products.
Dies is dies for the most part, some will argue that point, but that's my opinion (for the pistol stuff anyway.) I have RCBS & Hornady primarily. I have Lee Factory Crimp Dies for everything as well. My .223 set is the full Lee 3 die set. They all work fine. Spending big dollars on general purpose dies is a choice, not a necessity. Worth noting, the Hornady lock nuts will interfere with each other on the 4 hole turrets, I just ground them down a bit and life was good.

The ABC's of Reloading is a worthwhile purchase as well.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)
People Like This 
Old 12-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks everybody for your replies. It seems if I want to stay under $150 for a press kit then Lee is the way to go.

I know it is a big step up but Bass Pro sells a Lyman T-Mag Expert Deluxe Kit. Would this mean less replacement of what comes in the Lee kit?

http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-TMag-Expert-Deluxe-Reloading-Kit/product/10200317/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Or I could get the press and buy everything else selectively with this one:

http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-TMag-II-Expert-Reloading-Press/product/10202721/

Top of my budget for this is going to be $400 and I probably want to be able get a tumbler, media and at least two die sets to start with. The more I spend on the press the less I will have to immediately spend on bullets, primers and powder. In my area, I really only know of Bass Pro and Gander that carry reloading stuff. Atleast that I can check online.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's what I would consider with a new reloader
Buy the inexpensive set. Get started, after awhile you'll find what you like and what works best. You can add stuff and delete stuff. And if you decide to upgrade, you have a nice little press to set up for another caliber or dedicated to to one task. You'll probably find its kinda fun.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Here's what I would consider with a new reloader
Buy the inexpensive set. Get started, after awhile you'll find what you like and what works best. You can add stuff and delete stuff. And if you decide to upgrade, you have a nice little press to set up for another caliber or dedicated to to one task. You'll probably find its kinda fun.
+1!
Learn the ropes with the Lee setup. All said & done, you won't really be into it for all that much. While some of the associated equipment might have it's quirks, the actual Lee Classic Turret Press has nothing to apologize for. Once you have a command of the basics, you will be better informed as to what you will need to go to the next level. Assuming you decide that the next level is necessary at all.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)
CatawbaHammer Likes This 
Old 12-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
+1!
Learn the ropes with the Lee setup. All said & done, you won't really be into it for all that much. While some of the associated equipment might have it's quirks, the actual Lee Classic Turret Press has nothing to apologize for. Once you have a command of the basics, you will be better informed as to what you will need to go to the next level. Assuming you decide that the next level is necessary at all.
This is where I have settled on as being my most economical path. I just don't like buying a kit and finding out most of the accessories are junk. I would rather save the $50 on the kit and select my own powder throw, scale and other pieces. In my mind, even if I spend a bit more atleast I don't have a bunch of stuff sitting around that I've paid twice for.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Man I'm not sure what your after. Different strokes for different folks. I can sit here and say buy dillon stuff because 90% of the stuff i own is dillon. Then someone else will say buy rcbs. Then another guy will say the lee kit will be just fine to start off with which I'm sure it will be. If your on a budget stick with a kit that comes with everything you need to start minus a tumbler. Try the stuff. You may like it? I believe by asking men that have years of experience that also have there own little quirks is defeating the whole purpose of the great thing that is reloading. It's a time where men go sit down read books and figure out how to make things go bang in there weapons. Work with your budget. Spend extra cash on components. Make some ammo. Figure out what you think you need to increase your quality and output if volume is what your after.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1000 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
This is where I have settled on as being my most economical path. I just don't like buying a kit and finding out most of the accessories are junk. I would rather save the $50 on the kit and select my own powder throw, scale and other pieces. In my mind, even if I spend a bit more atleast I don't have a bunch of stuff sitting around that I've paid twice for.
The Lee Classic Turret press will give you many years of great service,there's nothing wrong with that press.
You'll be better off just buying the press,and then piecing together everything else.
A good beam scale is a must have. Look on Ebay,you can find a used scale cheap. Ohaus is the maker of almost all the reloading brands scales,they are just painted whatever color the mfg's color is.

A 505 or 5-10 scale would be a good one to start with,and you can get them under $50 if you look on Ebay.

You'll also want to get a good powder thower like a RCBS Uniflow,or similar model from Redding,Hornady,etc. Once again,Ebay has a ton of them used for great prices.

There are all kinds of small tools like calipers,I like the digital ones,you can get them online or at the local tool supply co/hardware store/auto supply.

If you are going to load rifle cartridges,you'll need a case trimmer. I've always used the Lee trimmers.They are cheap/simple/and they work great. They also work great in a cordless drill,and speed things up.

You also need to Chamfer your cases,and there are many different types of small tools for this.Some are cheap,some are expensive,but they all work.

Most pistol dies today are Carbide,so you don't need to lube the cases,but rifle dies aren't,and you'll need to get some case lube. Imperial Sizing wax is about as good as it gets,and I've never stuck a case in a die using it. I can't say that with other lubes.
Brands of dies is up to you. I have a lot of brands,but mostly use LEE,they will load ammo just as well as the more expensive brands,and last for a long time when taken care of. No matter what brand you buy,buy extra decapping pins or carbide ends for them.You will break them every once in a while,and they are cheap.

You'll also need a brass tumbler,there are many different brands. The last one I bought was a Frankford Arsenal.I bought the complete kit,that came with the tumbler,media seperator,and bucket. It was around $60-65 online.

There's a lot more stuff that comes in handy,but not needed to begin with,and once you get started reloading,you'll decide on what else you want to get.
Good luck!