Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Glock Reloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock Reloads?

I just got a G30 .45 ACP and was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for reloads? Nothing too hot, just a good basic load that works great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #2

Default GLOCK Reloads:

Firing reloads in a Glock VOIDS the factory warranty !

Reloads are fine if done properly, Glock factory barrels are NOT suitable to lead bullets.

If you want to shoot reloads safely in a Glock, replace the factory barrel with any of the after-market barrels that are heat treated. They will shoot anything, lead or jacketed, and keep you safe.

Glock does not heat treat their barrels...thats why they fail or KB = Kaboom !

Old 06-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #3

The .40 cal Glocks have a reputation for not fully supporting the case near the head, possibly leading to weakness and head separation after reloading. Not sure if the .45s are the same. Glock factory barrels are fine if you don't shoot lead bullets...

Old 06-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #4

Default Glocks should NOT fire reloads

Read your manual. Believe me, if the factory says "Don't do it", you SHOULD heed their advice. They engineered the weapon and KNOW what is best for it.
DO NOT shoot reloads in Glocks, regardless of who makes the barrel or what the chamber supports or doesn't support.

Best case scenario - saving .04 cents a round is just not worth it. Always heed the manufacturer's instructions.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons View Post
Read your manual. Believe me, if the factory says "Don't do it", you SHOULD heed their advice. They engineered the weapon and KNOW what is best for it.
DO NOT shoot reloads in Glocks, regardless of who makes the barrel or what the chamber supports or doesn't support.

Best case scenario - saving .04 cents a round is just not worth it. Always heed the manufacturer's instructions.

Most, if not all, firearm manufacturers say that as a matter of liability. If you blow up your gun because you were trying to make +P++ rounds, they don't want the legal flak from your injuries.

Glock is the only company that means it.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #6

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Default Glock reloads

The only glocks that have supported chambers are the .357 sigs. All of the rest WILL bulge the brass. In the early days of glocks, the commercial reloaders would not reload the glock fired brass. They scrapped it. With the invention of the case pro, that has changed. The brass can now be reconditioned to new specs from the rim to the mouth. There is one problem though. Brass will "work harden". That is to say it will get harder and more brittle as it is repeatedly fired and resized. If a piece of brass is fired several times in a glock and resized (conventionally or through a case pro) it will get brittle in the area that is not supported and eventually blow out. This will suck, bad.

My solution? Don't own glocks.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #7

I reload for my 17, but use jacketed projectiles only. I have friends that reload their 9's, 40's and 45's, and all use jacketed.

If you want to reload using lead, then get an aftermarket barrel with trditional rifling.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #8

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

There is no reason you cannot reload for a Glock same as any other handgun. ALL gun manufacturers state their warranty is void if "reloads" are used. It's standard lawyer talk these days. With the amount of ammunition recalls in recent years I feel a lot safer firing my own loads than most factory cartridges. That said, there are some rules you need to follow when handloading for Glocks. First, as was mentioned, use only jacketed bullets. The reason for this is because of the Glocks Polygonal rifling. It does not lend itself well to lead projectiles. Second is it isn't wise to reload brass that was originally fired in a Glock because Glock barrels have an unsupported area at the rear of the chamber which can, in some cases, cause the brass to bulge slightly at the rear. When this brass is resized it can become weak in that area. It's easy to identify this slight bulge. I've reloaded this type of brass and re fired it in my Glock 21 .45 ACP without incident. But I don't handload at the red line. Keep everything a little on the mild side and you won't have issues. It's when you start to push performance levels way up, that you will encounter problems. That can be said of any cartridge fired from any gun. Bill T.