Give this a try - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Give this a try

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

1hole:

You will get an electrical arc when you unplug that tumbler. My advice is just to be careful, and don't take unnecessary risks.

TXnorton

Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got a problem with using wd40. I've had literally dozens of guns brought to me over the years from them being all gummed up by the constant use of wd40 on them. After awhile, wd40 will form a film on everything and start to build up. That's why I would NEVER use it in a tumbler where it would go inside of the cases. Too much chance of contaminating the powder, causing different rate of burn or even incomplete burn.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"My advice is just to be careful, and don't take unnecessary risks."

Thank you for your advice.

I'm a retired electronics tech from the space and defence industries who also served the last 7 years of my work life as the industrial safety officer for a government research facilty. I am careful, I do know what I'm doing, I am fully aware of "sparks" and solvent vapors and I don't take any "unnecessary risks." But I can recommend the use of mineral spirits/oderless paint thinner in a tumbler and would not suggest it if it were not both safe and harmless.

I agree that WD40 added to the media will help cut crud. But it will also do everything stalkingbear says, it will evaporate and leave a stubborn light brown "varnish."

Mineral spirits/paint thinner in the media will not hurt anything. It will evaporate out of the media in three-four days, leaving everything exactly as it was before it was added.

Every one will fear what they wish, including such trivia as the gobal warming farce, asbestos, radon gas, holes in ozone layers, mineral spirits in media, etc.

Last edited by 1hole; 06-02-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
. Too much chance of contaminating the powder, causing different rate of burn or even incomplete burn.
Buy the man a beer! Hes exceedingly correct!

there are lemon juice concoctions all over the NET that makes brass shinier than new. Leave the solvents in the garage!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Be very careful with adding any volatile fluids in your tumbler. Be sure the additives do not generate any combustible vapors. The electrical works in the tumblers are not rated for hazardous areas, and COULD result in a explosion or fire!

TXnorton
Vapors and ground corn cobs==ever see a grain bin fire??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #16

Liked 1907 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

I reload as a hobby. So time is not wasted on small tasks. I have found that if I am picking up rare brass, like 8mm mauser, or 7.62 x 39, the most horribly tarnished brass looks like brand new after a few seconds with some brasso and a rag. I do it by hand, and only on the outside of the case. Really, it can be black, and it looks like new in just a few seconds. I don't mind spending 5 minutes to recover 20 or 30 rounds of brass.

I wouldn't waste my time doing a bunch of 9mm. But reloadable sks and 8mm mauser is hard to come by.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #17

Anyone ever tried adding something dry like bartenders friend or brasso to the media? Just looking for something better than corn cob media.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have two tumblers. I keep one filled with the red "jeweler's rouge" type media and one filled with the green Lyman tumbling media. I usually run all of my range pick-up brass through the red stuff first to get the seriously tarnished brass cleaned up, then I'll cycle it through the green stuff for a final polish. I still have to toss a few of the grungier stained cases, I don't waste my time hand polishing as I can usually pick up more brass than I'll ever need.

I will often hand wash really dirty brass in a plastic tub with HOT water and dish detergent first.

TXnorton

Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #19

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

I've used Corncob and Walnut media. The walnut takes much less time. I really don't care if my brass is shiny like a mirror. Clean is good! Adding anything to corn media seems to break it down faster. The Walnut lasts much longer.
I have a buddy who is a real cheap bastard. He tried birdseed, worked pretty good, but the small seeds would get stuck in the primer pocket of large Pistol and rifle cartridges. He found that Agway carried a 50lb bag of Corn cob media bedding, that is what he uses now. Costs about 1/2 the price as standard cob media. I like walnut.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #20

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

WD-40 can contain up to 35% "Petroleum based oil" depending on the particular formula (bulk, aerosol, or pump spray). Not an ingredient that I want inside my cartridge cases personally. Check out the MSDS sheets for specifics.

Anyone buying commercial media from gun/sporting goods stores etc is throwing their money away IMO. You can pick up bags of untreated walnut or corncob media at the local pet store on sale and save yourself a lot of cash. (Bird & reptile bedding/litter.)
Even better is to look in your local "Yellow Pages" and find "metal finishing" suppliers. Those that sell "sand blasting" materials. I buy corncob and walnut media in 50 lb. bags for about 1/3 of what "Lyman" media sells for.

If you want a highly polished shine on your cases simply add a couple teaspoons of this Frankford Arsenal Brass Case Polish 8 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA in your "untreated" media, and it works just as well as the high dollar Lyman media.