Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Give this a try

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Give this a try

I know that 10WD40 works great for removing the grime off of handgun and rifle cartridges. So I sprayed my media with the 10WD40 and tumbled a few shells just too see what happens. Like to report that the shells came out nice and shiny and very clean. This will save time as the 10WD40 breaks down the grime alot faster then just the dry media. Give it a try!

Please note * Do not over spray the media. Just a lite coat over the top. Thats all you need.

Last edited by plasticman; 05-13-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"10wd40"

???

Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2599 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

That is the new detergent motor oil that is guaranteed to loosen your stuck (torqued) head bolts and prevent rust in aluminum block engines.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 AM   #4

oh crap.... I mean wd40 sorry LOL

I gotta put the booze down when Im on the internet

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticman View Post
oh crap.... I mean wd40 sorry LOL
OKAY, I know what that is!

You can also add an ounce or so of mineral spirits/oderless paint thinner to the media just before you toss the cases in. Cheaper, same effect.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Be very careful with adding any volatile fluids in your tumbler. Be sure the additives do not generate any combustible vapors. The electrical works in the tumblers are not rated for hazardous areas, and COULD result in a explosion or fire!

TXnorton

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #7

I reuse my media over and over so I would be kind of leary of putting something like WD40 or mineral spirits into the media. Every once in a while, I pour in a very small amount of Lyman Media Rejuvinator and that seems to do the trick. It is like Brylcreme - a little dab will do ya!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

No one suggested using gasoline. Neither WD-40 nor mineral spirits are very volatile, the "fumes" from the liquids themselve will not ignite easily.

Tumbler motors are induction, not bushed, so no sparks are produced. Few tumblers have internal switches and those that do are well shielded.

The suggested mild solvents DO help cut case residue and the case cleaning WILL be faster. Fears of a sudden flash fire from using either are on the level of death by the flash floods of Global Warming.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The fact is that WD40 is great for removing adhesive tape goop and WD40 will take the bluing of your firearm and the stain out of the stock. A can of WD40 should never come within 30 feet of a firearm. I have witness the effects of WD40 on some older firearms and it ain't pretty. Do your firearms a favor and use Rem oil or some other lube made for firearms. I understand that this post is about reloading so this is just a word of caution.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't use any non-reloading type additive to the media. Non-industry additives may affect ignition, burn rate, and chemical composition of powders/primers. Tumbling cases is done to REMOVE residue. Adding oily substances to the media actually DEPOSITS residue, even though you may not see or feel it. I have found over the years that additives, even approved additives, make the media "clump" over time and even allow it to bind to the inside of cases, making it a chore to remove. Fresh media works better than old media with an additive.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"