Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Getting Started and Costs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Might I suggest that she look into shoes, it seems to have made my wife complete, and I repeat: why do you think we reload?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Plenty of shoes to go around my friend, but that will never allow total fulfillment. I think she'd love shooting if she just tried. . .

Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
As far as used equipment, hell. . .the Lee turret press was only $109!
diggs,

For $109 what did the Lee Turret Press include in the box?
I'm asking because my local dealer has a Lee Turret Press new in an open box for 60 bucks. Inside the box it's just the press & handle, but new unused. No plastic bottles, etc. What came in your box?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #14

Default Dude You got a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
All in shopping cart, ready for checkout:

Don't think I can be much more clear, so here ya go:

Lyman case tumbler, case trimmer, powder measure riser, case lube pad, 4 die set for each .38/.357 and .44 mag, shellholders, priming pocket cleaner, sizing lube, Lee powder measure, Lee safety small and large priming feeder, Lee 4 hole turret press w/ auto index deluxe kit, 6" caliper, electronic powder scale, primers, powders and bullets.

Seems to be just the basic crap right? I'm familiar with the process and know I will need this junk to reload at my desired pace.

I was hoping someone had an answer to spending so much, but if not, It is, what It is!?!?!
I payed alot more than that. I did however tool up during that ammo scare a couple years ago.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #15

I think this guy is going to be disappointed. With the component price increases and shortages of the past couple of years, and depending on how much he shoots, the monetary savings between new and reloading ammo is going to be minimal if any. With the exception of the AR he is building, NONE of his weapons uses a military caliber, so brass is always going to be a premium, (no once fired mil surplus). The .44 and .357 are both powder hungry, he's buying bullets at probably 12+ cents a pop rather than making them at 2 cents each. He is using a turret press because his schedule is tight but that gives him the ability to make mistakes 5 times faster also.
My advice would be to forego buying any equipment until his schedule allows a better learning curve. Make his colleague his best friend and load there for a while longer, Then buy a little at a time...if he don't keep his wife happy, he's headed for a nasty divorce and all the stuff he bought will end up for sale anyway. Buy used is a good idea, but a person needs at least some experience to know the cream from the crap. Be wary of ebay...I went through 21 pages of reloading equipment today, and most of the prices exceed that of new equipment, and then you have to pay shipping.
But advice is cheap...Right?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #16

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Reloading is costly to start, But if you start by geting good used equipment and adding a little as you go it does not seem so bad.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the older three-hole Lee turret press and love it - I am up to 17 turrets now, so changing calibers is a "plug&play" proposition. But, it IS more expensive on initial setup! I loaded for ten years on my old Lee Single-stage.
To really cut production costs, you need to find range-brass (a HUGE cost of our loads is the brass!) and get into leadcasting - but that has a somewhat steep setup cost too.

Get the little lady a nice pink AR of her own, and a LadySmith revolver. If she likes shooting, she will begin to understand the drive to 'roll our own'!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #18

Liked 1656 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

I started out with a hand press from Lee. My wife bought me an RCBS Rock Chucker, a powder measure, scale, and tumbler for Christmas. I have gotten a lot of stuff at yard sales. You can get good deals at pawn shops too.

My question is, if you are short on time, how much time do you get to shoot? I spend more time reloading than shooting. And I shoot a lot. Are you really able to shoot enough to be worth the investment?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
diggs,

For $109 what did the Lee Turret Press include in the box?
I'm asking because my local dealer has a Lee Turret Press new in an open box for 60 bucks. Inside the box it's just the press & handle, but new unused. No plastic bottles, etc. What came in your box?
This "kit" includes.

Turret Press with Auto Index, Auto Disk Powder Measure, Safety Scale, Primer Pocket Cleaner, Cutter and Lock Stud and Chamfer Tool.

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out of town for a few days.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
My question is, if you are short on time, how much time do you get to shoot? I spend more time reloading than shooting. And I shoot a lot. Are you really able to shoot enough to be worth the investment?
I shoot probably 4 hours per week. Usually burn up 100 rounds per gun and usually take 3+ guns. The range is about 20 or so miles out side of town and I usually hit the pistol berms when they are pretty vacant, so I get down to business.

The reloading would also give me a way to spend time productively at the house during family down time. Rather than sitting here at the comp, TV or reading (although the last one usually involves guns too )

As far the the brass question. I have a source for (almost free) .44 mag brass and .357 brass is always sitting around on the grounds at the range, so I shoot/scavenge my supply of brass up.