Getting Started and Costs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Getting Started and Costs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Getting Started and Costs

Alright. I've read the books, watched some videos and practiced on some friends equipment, now I'm ready to set up for myself. I built a killer reloading/gun working bench and now I just gotta tool up and equip myself with components.

Here is the problem:

After the press, scale, measure, dies, components, trimmers, etc. the total tab at midwayusa was about $600.

That wouldn't be so bad, but I'm getting into an AR build right now and the ol' lady is freakin'. "We can never save any money cause of you" type crap.

Here's the question:

How can I bring the start-up cost down a couple hundred bucks??? I just started with Lee equipment and two sets of dies.

Any help is much appreciated. I really want to get going.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #2

It would help if we knew what cartridges you are loading for, at what expected volumes and a little of what you are considering buying that ran the potential start-up costs so high. You had to add a lot to most Lee presses and a couple of die sets to reach $600!

But, perhaps the first step is checking prices at Graff and Son instead of Midway.

And little momma may be right, perhaps you should slow down a bit?

Last edited by Fuzzball; 05-30-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

if you want to start cheap buy a single stage used press. you practically have to beat on a single stage with a hammer to damage them.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Alright. I've read the books, watched some videos and practiced on some friends equipment, now I'm ready to set up for myself. I built a killer reloading/gun working bench and now I just gotta tool up and equip myself with components.

Here is the problem:

After the press, scale, measure, dies, components, trimmers, etc. the total tab at midwayusa was about $600.

That wouldn't be so bad, but I'm getting into an AR build right now and the ol' lady is freakin'. "We can never save any money cause of you" type crap.

Here's the question:

How can I bring the start-up cost down a couple hundred bucks??? I just started with Lee equipment and two sets of dies.

Any help is much appreciated. I really want to get going.

Ummmm, keep the reloading stuff and get rid of the wife? Just a suggestion.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:36 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
It would help if we knew what cartridges you are loading for, at what expected volumes and a little of what you are considering buying that ran the potential start-up costs so high. You had to add a lot to most Lee presses and a couple of die sets to reach $600!

But, perhaps the first step is checking prices at Graff and Son instead of Midway.

And little momma may be right, perhaps you should slow down a bit?
Just .38, .357 and .44 mag to start with. Also that $600 included everything I listed (maybe re-read?) when I listed components, that included bullets, primers, powders, calipers, trimmers. Basically everything I'll need to do a proper job.

Also I went with the turret press, because my schedule is so tight that production is a must, so I can 100% a cartridge, simply switch turrets for the next caliber.

This is how a colleague of mine does it and after spending some time with his equipment, I'm comfortable and confident that this is the way I will begin.

Any useful help?

Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 AM   #6

So what do you have at present, some details would be nice,IE: press, dies, primer tools. that way we can suggest what you may need additionally. you know what you have and we don't, and it would be presumptuous for me to guess what COMPONENTS entail

Last edited by 50of4064; 05-31-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

All in shopping cart, ready for checkout:

Don't think I can be much more clear, so here ya go:

Lyman case tumbler, case trimmer, powder measure riser, case lube pad, 4 die set for each .38/.357 and .44 mag, shellholders, priming pocket cleaner, sizing lube, Lee powder measure, Lee safety small and large priming feeder, Lee 4 hole turret press w/ auto index deluxe kit, 6" caliper, electronic powder scale, primers, powders and bullets.

Seems to be just the basic crap right? I'm familiar with the process and know I will need this junk to reload at my desired pace.

I was hoping someone had an answer to spending so much, but if not, It is, what It is!?!?!

Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 AM   #8

Sounds like you have everything to get started, you just have to shop around for deals on the consumables either on line or in your area, Welcome to the world of reloading, there are plenty of " YOU REALLY NEEEEED THIS " out there and in time you will settle in and really tailor your need's and what works for you!
Can't help with the woman issue, your on your own with that one!
( why do you think we reload LOL)

If the time spent reloding was not at the top of your priority list, then JONm hit it on the head. to reduce the cost by $300-$400 you could have picked up used and saved, but I understand the bug you have been bitten with and been there and done that, you are not alone!

Last edited by 50of4064; 05-31-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for your input. I guess I'll just have to lay down the cash. It'll be worth in the long run I know.

As far as used equipment, hell. . .the Lee turret press was only $109!

As far as the woman. She has a point. . . an AR build, new AK, always on the prowl for a new wheelie. Maybe if she found a hobby it wouldn't be an issue, but oh well!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Jump on ebay, there is always good reloading equipment going there.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer