Getting into reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Getting into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Getting into reloading

Hey all,
I shoot around 200 rounds a week of .38sp, .40, and .45acp, although this might not be a lot to you all, it is a lot for me, and I am a student so money is tough. I think its time I started reloading. I have been looking on midwayusa for kits and came across the Lee Challenger single stage kit. I have read various reviews about the kit and would really appreciate to know what you all think...any help is much appreciated!!

Lee Challenger Press

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

You will probably here from the Lee haters,but I've used a Lee Turret press for years and it gets the job done just fine.
The single stage press will work great,but it is slow for pistol rounds.For just a little more money I'd get the 4 hole turret press kit and buy a couple extra turrets plates for it.Setup all the dies for each calber in the turret plates,and you can switch out the turrets in a matter of seconds to change the caliber you want to reload.
Once you have the dies setup,the only one you will have to adjust is the bullet seating die when you change to a different weight/style of bullet for each caliber.

Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit with Auto Index - Natchez Shooters Supplies Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit with Auto Index

The Lee scale will work to begin with,but you will want to upgrade to a better one in the future.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help, now you've got me thinking about better presses... I am liking the 4 turret press you have shown me and watched a few videos on how to use it. I do not think I would have a problem with Lee as I have heard several great things about them. Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed!!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been using a lee 4 hole turret for a few years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I personally want to be able to sit down and crank out a couple hundred rounds so the turret was a must. When I got it I was shooting 2-300 rds of 45 a week. Not a lot compared to some but enough to make reloading worth while.

Take your time, aske questions, read, read, read, get a reloading manual. It's rewarding and fun but you need to be safe at the same time. Safety comes first.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

spittinfire,
Thanks so much for the help, I've learned a lot from this forum in the last few months of scouring the pages for new info. Im liking the looks of the press that Txhillbilly suggested, although I would like it to catch the spent primers. Do any of the turret presses have a feature like this, or am I worrying too much about the small stuff?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 AM   #6

I understand your situation and Lee products are ok but please realize they are not as forgiving as other products. You will need some type of tumbler. I still use the Lee Auto prime and Lee will repace the defective or worn out parts.

Patret

Old 07-30-2010, 03:31 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
I understand your situation and Lee products are ok but please realize they are not as forgiving as other products. You will need some type of tumbler. I still use the Lee Auto prime and Lee will repace the defective or worn out parts.

Patret
Hey Patret,
What kind of press are you using...what other brands do you prefer? I have read good things about RCBS, but are quite a bit more expensive than an entry level Lee that I have my eyes on.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16800&stc=1&d=12804618 91
dillon_square_deal_b_m.jpg

I've been looking into buying a press for reloading handgun ammunition and at around $369.00 IMHO this may be the best value for the money. This press comes from the factory with one caliber included and the press is preset at the factory. It's around $90.00 for each additional caliber.

I'm using a RCBS turret press for all my reloading which is fine for bench shooting and hunting loads, but really sucks for handgun loading. The Dillon can put out 300 to 500 rounds a hour. I'll spend less time in the basement and more time on the range after I get the Dillon.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 02-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
You will probably here from the Lee haters,but I've used a Lee Turret press for years and it gets the job done just fine.
The single stage press will work great,but it is slow for pistol rounds.For just a little more money I'd get the 4 hole turret press kit and buy a couple extra turrets plates for it.Setup all the dies for each calber in the turret plates,and you can switch out the turrets in a matter of seconds to change the caliber you want to reload.
Once you have the dies setup,the only one you will have to adjust is the bullet seating die when you change to a different weight/style of bullet for each caliber.

Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit with Auto Index - Natchez Shooters Supplies Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit with Auto Index

The Lee scale will work to begin with,but you will want to upgrade to a better one in the future.

So glad to see that Lee did not flamed here.. I've also been using Lee products for years with great results.. I currently use three different Lee presses from single stage classic to a Lee Pro 1000. No issues here at all..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I am one big lee hater right here. Everything I have ever used of theres has been faulty of piss poor constructiion and not worth the money I paid for it.

That being said if you are wanting to get into loading your own for low cost then Lee is where you should look.

I prefer RCBS and Dillon. Yes I drink the blue koolaid. My dillon is flawless in every way. If there is a problem with it, it is not the press it is the wing nut operator jerkin the handle.

I have loaded on RCBS for just about my whole life. I grew up just 45 miles from the RCBS factory. RCBS products are build Ford tough and will last you a life time and then some. My RCBS uniflow powder measure is on its 3 user and still going strong.

The SDB from dillon is a good press but, it has some glaring drawbacks as well. First it doesn't take standard dies they are special dies only made by dillon. It is small and cramped in the work area if you have big hands and fingers it is going to be a pain in the ares to work with if and when something goes wrong. If I were going to get another dillon it would be the XL-650. The 550 is good and if you are starting out and dead set on a progressive the 550 is a manual index (Meaning you have to rotate the shell plate). So you can use it as a single stage reloader as well. The biggest draw back to Dillons are the prices caliber conversions are $45 and a tool head with powder measure is $100.

Hornady makes a good progressive that works great is built like a dam tank and caliber conversion is much cheaper on it and you can use the same powder measure on everything you just have to change the settings.

There are lots and lots of stuff out there Lee has kits RCBS has kits and Lyman has a kit I think. with the kits you add powder, primer, cases, dies and your ready to load.

First thing I would tell you to do is get two books and read them.

1. ABC's of Reloading. Amazon.com: Abc's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert (9780896896093): Bill…

2. Sierra 5th Edition Rifle & Handgun Reloading Manual Amazon.com: Sierra 5th Edition Rifle & Handgun Reloading Manual Md: 0500 .: Sports & Outdoors