Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Get What You Pay For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Get What You Pay For

I have a .223 Bergara barrel for a T/C Encore and it's really accurate, however it leaves a "ring" for lack of a better term, all the way around the fired case about 1/2" from the case head. I am not getting any pressure issues, and the "ring" is visible inside the chamber to the naked eye, I assume from the reamer wobbling?

The ring left on the fire formed case is approximately 1/8" wide, and easily visible. My case length does not differ from rounds of the same loading and trim length fired from my AR's (first firing after trimming).

Aside from limiting my case life, do any of you guys, or ladies, see a major problem by continuing to use it in this condition? I planned on having it reamed to 22-30/30 AI eventually, but wanted a .223 for the summer. Thanks.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

A POSSIBLE concern is excessive headspace. About where the ring is forming is where the brass starts to thin out. If brass is not being supported, and stretches "backwards", it will show up on brass. Potential is failure of the cartridge case on firing.

Would get it checked on a go/no go pretty quick.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
A POSSIBLE concern is excessive headspace. About where the ring is forming is where the brass starts to thin out. If brass is not being supported, and stretches "backwards", it will show up on brass. Potential is failure of the cartridge case on firing.

Would get it checked on a go/no go pretty quick.
+1 on what c3shooter said. Especially if you shoot reloads, its a case
failure waiting to happen IMHO.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #4

I figured a case failure would be the most likely event. I measured the neck length against ones from the same loading fired from another rifle and there is no difference, so I assume it's just bulging to fire form to the flaw in the chamber for now, but will start stretching backwards the more I reload them. I am thinking the action will bind (best case scenario), or the case will rupture. I'll just send it back. Thanks guys.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 07-11-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Newest Threads